This Bell Pepper Salad is absolutely full of flavorful crunchiness! The mix of veggies and dressing makes it soft, sharp, smooth, aromatic, and savory all at the same time. It's such an attractive and inviting salad I know that you won't be able to help piling a huge helping of it onto your plate.
The first time I made this salad was on a Sunday when we had unexpected visitors. I was already making golden potatoes and creamy cabbage and cucumber salad along with BBQ Ribs and wanted a splash of color on the table. I figured what better way to accomplish this than a nice crunchy salad?
So I chopped up some vegetables I had on hand and drizzled them with olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice. It was the perfect side dish, everyone absolutely loved it! Of course, this salad has since become a new favorite around the house.
I've made it many times since then and perfected the recipe over the years. Trust me, you're going to absolutely love this one!
Want to learn how to make Bell Pepper Salad? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is Bell Pepper Salad?
- What Makes This Bell Pepper Salad Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Bell Pepper Salad at Home
- How to Make Bell Pepper Salad (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Bell Pepper Salad Ever
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Bell Pepper Salad
- How to Store Leftover Bell Pepper Salad
- More Salad Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- Super Easy Bell Pepper Salad (Ready in Only 15 Minutes!)
What is Bell Pepper Salad?
Bell pepper salad is a light and refreshing side dish that is full of flavor and color. It’s made with fresh bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, or other vegetables of your choice. The salad is dressed in a simple mix of olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice to give it an added zing and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
This salad makes a great side dish since it goes with just about everything and you can even add some protein to it to use it as a light main course. This salad pairs especially well with savory dishes like grilled chicken thighs or a juicy rib eye roast.
It's a light and healthy dish, making it the perfect addition to any diet. The flavor combination is delicious and fresh, and it's also packed with nutrients. Trust me, you're going to love this one!
What Makes This Bell Pepper Salad Recipe Special?
Healthy: This bell pepper salad is full of healthy vitamins and minerals like vitamin C. It also has a very light, low-fat dressing making it a great, healthy side dish!
Easy: You'll be amazed at how fast you can prepare this salad! All it takes is chopping some veggies and mixing a simple two-ingredient dressing.
Attractive: Bell pepper salad looks fantastic on any lunch or dinner table. The veggies give it vibrant colors with a nice gleam from the olive oil.
What You Need to Make Bell Pepper Salad at Home
All you need are some incredibly simple ingredients to make this delicious Bell Pepper Salad at home. Let's look at each of these in more detail:
For the Salad:
- Bell peppers: First we're going to need some bell peppers. You can use any color or type you want, but a mix of red, yellow, and orange is best. I've used sweet mini peppers for this recipe for some added flavor.
- Cherry tomatoes: Next we'll use cherry tomatoes to give our salad some juiciness and a nice acidic taste. You can also use grape tomatoes.
- English cucumber: Using cucumber will give this salad a delightful crunch and some added moisture. I like to use English cucumbers since they're a little sweeter.
For the Dressing:
- Olive oil: The first ingredient in our dressing, olive oil ensures all the vegetables get a good coating. It also adds a slightly nutty flavor and some very healthy fats.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice is the other dressing ingredient, giving it a delicious zesty flavor. You can use a bottle of lemon juice, but freshly squeezed lemons taste much better.
- Dill: We're going to garnish our bell pepper salad with some freshly chopped dill. It looks great and adds a fresh, citrus-like taste with grassy undertones.
- Salt and pepper: Lastly we'll need a little salt and pepper to sprinkle over our salad. I always use sea salt and freshly ground black pepper when I can.
How to Make Bell Pepper Salad (Step-by-Step)
Making this delicious bell pepper salad is easier than you think. Here's how to make it step by step:
How to Make the Salad Dressing
Let's start by making the salad dressing. It's incredibly easy to make!
All you need to do is combine freshly squeezed lemon juice with olive oil. Mix well and set aside until ready for use.
How to Make Bell Pepper Salad
Now let's prepare our salad.
Thoroughly rinse all the vegetables and pat them dry with a paper towel. Slice all the vegetables into whatever size pieces you desire and place them in a large mixing bowl.
Rinse, dry, and chop the dill, then place it in the center of the bowl over the veggies.
If you are making this salad ahead of time, cover the bowl with a lid and refrigerate it until ready to use, for up to 4 hours.
When you're ready to serve, pour the salad dressing over the cut vegetables.
Season the salad with sea salt and pepper to taste. Toss the salad until the veggies are well coated.
Your delicious Bell Pepper Salad is ready to be served!
Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Tips for Making the Best Bell Pepper Salad Ever
Use fresh vegetables: This will ensure that the flavors blend together perfectly and that the salad has a great texture.
Use a sharp knife: It's always a good idea to use a sharp knife when slicing veggies. This prevents them from getting mashed and is safer for you.
Lightly season first: Go very light with the salt and pepper at first, taste it, then adjust as needed. You can always add more seasoning if you need but too much will ruin the salad.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Bell Pepper Salad
- Add herbs: Experiment with different herbs to add subtle hints of different flavors. Parsley, cilantro, or light lemongrass are good choices.
- Add vegetables: Other vegetables can be great additions to this salad. Try adding some red onion in thin strips and minced garlic for a stronger flavor.
- Top it with cheese: Topping this salad with cheese is a great way to add some more flavor. Feta cheese and blue cheese are especially tasty.
How to Store Leftover Bell Pepper Salad
If you have any leftover bell pepper salad, the best way to store it is in an airtight container. Place the salad in the container and make sure the lid is tightly sealed. Store it in the fridge for up to two days. When you are ready to eat it again, be sure to mix it well before serving.
I don't recommend freezing this since the vegetables will change in consistency and texture when you thaw them.
More Salad Recipes You'll Love
- Tomato Cucumber and Mozzarella Salad
- Chives Radish and Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Cabbage and Cucumber Salad
- Red and Green Cabbage Cucumber Salad Recipe
See all salad recipes.
Super Easy Bell Pepper Salad (Ready in Only 15 Minutes!)
Sweet Pepper Tomato Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- 1 lb. – sweet mini peppers
- 1 lb. – cherry tomatoes (you may also use colorful grape/cherry tomatoes)
- 1 – English cucumber (or 5 garden/greenhouse cucumbers)
Salad Dressing and Seasoning Ingredients
- ¼ cup – extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large - lemon (juice squeezed from lemon)
- ¼ cup – chopped fresh dill
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
How to Make the Salad Dressing
- Let's start by making the salad dressing. It's incredibly easy to make!
- All you need to do is combine freshly squeezed lemon juice with olive oil. Mix well and set aside until ready for use.
How to Make Bell Pepper Salad
- Now let's prepare our salad.
- Thoroughly rinse all the vegetables and pat them dry with a paper towel. Slice all the vegetables into whatever size pieces you desire and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Rinse, dry, and chop the dill, then place it in the center of the bowl over the veggies.
- If you are making this salad ahead of time, cover the bowl with a lid and refrigerate it until ready to use, for up to 4 hours.
- When you're ready to serve, pour the salad dressing over the cut vegetables.
- Season the salad with sea salt and pepper to taste. Toss the salad until the veggies are well coated.
- Your delicious Bell Pepper Salad is ready to be served!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
This recipe was originally posted on June 3, 2021, and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.