This healthy Chocolate Granola recipe is the perfect way to enjoy a delicious snack without worrying about unhealthy ingredients. It is made with clean, healthy ingredients that provide a good source of protein and fiber to keep you full and energized throughout the day. Plus, it is incredibly versatile and can be customized to your liking.
If you love flavored granola but have still been buying chocolate granola at the store, it's time to make your own at home! Not only is it healthier, but it tastes even better than any granola you'll get some the store! It's clean, fresh, and healthy and is packed with delicious flavors that take it all to the next level.
This granola crisps up nicely in the oven to give you a nice crispy and crunchy texture. It's also loaded with nuts and seeds, with delicious cacao powder for that chocolate flavor, but the best part is that it's not overly sweet.
The recipe is actually super versatile and can easily be customized to your preferences. I've also included many different variation ideas in this post to help you make it your own!
Want to learn how to make this delicious Chocolate Granola recipe? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is Chocolate Granola?
- What Makes This Chocolate Granola Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Chocolate Granola at Home
- How to Make Chocolate Granola (Step-by-Step)
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Chocolate Granola
- How to Form Chocolate Granola Clusters
- How to Store Leftover Chocolate Granola
- More Granola Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- Homemade Chocolate Granola Recipe (Super Easy and Healthy!)
What is Chocolate Granola?
Chocolate granola is a delicious and nutritious breakfast or snack option. It is made from oats, nuts, seeds, and cacao powder that are mixed together and baked until crispy.
The result is a crunchy, flavorful treat that can be enjoyed on its own or as part of a larger meal. Chocolate granola is packed with protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals that make it a great choice for a balanced breakfast or snack.
Not only can store-bought granola be expensive, but it may also contain unhealthy ingredients such as saturated fats, refined sugars, and fillers.
The ingredients in this granola recipe are ones you likely already have on hand, so you can make it in the convenience of your own home and enjoy the delicious snack you've been craving. Plus, it uses clean, healthy ingredients for the perfect homemade chocolate granola recipe! I'm sure you're going to love it!
What Makes This Chocolate Granola Recipe Special?
What makes this chocolate granola recipe special is that it is made with clean, healthy ingredients. It contains oats, nuts, seeds, and cacao powder that are all-natural and free of unhealthy additives. This means you can enjoy a delicious snack without worrying about consuming unhealthy ingredients.
The combination of oats, nuts, and seeds provide a good source of protein and fiber to keep you full and energized throughout the day. The cacao powder adds a delicious chocolate flavor without adding too much sugar.
This recipe is also incredibly versatile and can be customized to your liking. You can add in other ingredients such as dried fruit, coconut flakes, or even chocolate chips for an extra special treat.
I love to enjoy the crispiness of the granola with smooth yogurt, or cottage cheese, and loads of fruit. You're about to seriously fall in love with this recipe!
What You Need to Make Chocolate Granola at Home
All you need are some simple, pantry staple ingredients to make this delicious Chocolate Granola recipe at home. Here's everything you'll need:
Dry Ingredients for Chocolate Granola
- Oats: You'll need whole rolled oats to make homemade chocolate granola. Avoid anything that's labeled 'instant' or 'quick-cooking oats,' as these are processed and have a higher glycemic index, making them unhealthy.
- Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds are a great source of healthy fats, fiber, and protein. They also add a delicious crunch to the granola.
- Almond slivers: We'll also be adding some almond slivers to our homemade chocolate granola recipe for a delicious nutty flavor that works perfectly with the cacao in this recipe.
- Chia seeds: You'll also need some chia seeds for this recipe. They're packed with fiber which makes this granola more filling!
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds are full of healthy omega-3 fats that are great for the heart and even contain a lot of antioxidants that truly makes this a healthy chocolate granola recipe!
- Cacao powder: Cacao powder is made from cocoa beans and is rich in antioxidants. It adds a delicious chocolate flavor to the granola without adding too much sugar. It's much healthier than regular cocoa powder as it contains more antioxidants and minerals. But if you don't have it on hand, you can also go for unsweetened cocoa powder.
Wet Ingredients for Chocolate Granola
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil helps bind the ingredients together and adds a nice subtle coconut flavor to the granola and also helps it crisp up to the right consistency.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup is used as a natural sweetener in this recipe. It adds just the right amount of sweetness without adding too much sugar.
- Brown sugar: We'll also be adding some brown sugar to our chocolate granola recipe. It adds a nice caramel flavor and helps the granola crisp up nicely.
- Salt: You'll also need some salt for this recipe. We'll add this because it helps bring out the chocolate flavor and adds a beautiful dimension to the overall granola taste.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds a delicious flavor to the granola and helps bring out all the other flavors in this recipe.
How to Make Chocolate Granola (Step-by-Step)
This Chocolate Granola recipe is incredibly easy to make and you're going to absolutely love making it! Here's what you need to do to make it step by step:
Start by adding coconut oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla extract into a small bowl. Place a glass bowl over a hot water bath and stir them all together until they're all melted.
In a separate large bowl, toss and mix together all the dry ingredients together, namely the rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, almond slivers, and cacao powder.
Pour the melted liquid mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix all together until well combined.
Transfer the uncooked granola onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread it out evenly with the help of a spatula
Bake in a preheated oven at 325 F for 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the granola cool completely before crushing it into small pieces.
Your delicious Chocolate Granola is ready to be served!
Recipe Variation Ideas for Chocolate Granola
This delicious chocolate granola recipe is absolutely perfect and delicious as it is. But if you're looking to customize the flavors, here are some ideas you can try out:
Chocolate chips: If you're looking to turn this chocolate granola into a treat, you can add some chocolate chips to it! Go for some dark chocolate chips for a deeper, richer flavor.
Nuts and seeds: You can also add other nuts and seeds to it. Some great ideas include walnuts, pecans, peanuts, and sunflower seeds.
Dried fruit: Another great idea is to add some dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, raspberries, or even strawberries to your chocolate granola for added flavor.
Nut butter: You can also add some delicious nut butter such as peanut butter to your granola mixture for added flavor. Simply mix it into the liquids and then combine it with the dry ingredients.
How to Form Chocolate Granola Clusters
Allow the granola to cool completely on the baking sheet at room temperature for 1 hour before forming granola clusters. After that time, gently stir the granola by hand and form it into a large cluster to make the chocolate granola recipe suitable for storage in a glass mason jar.
How to Store Leftover Chocolate Granola
Once the granola is cooled completely, crush it into small, bite-size pieces and store it in an airtight container or mason jar with a lid to preserve freshness. If stored properly, it can last up to 3 weeks!
Alternatively, you can store it in freezer-safe bags and freeze it for up to 1 month.
More Granola Recipes You'll Love
- Berry Granola Greek Yogurt Bowl
- Easy Strawberry Almond Granola Recipe
- Raspberry Almond Coconut Bites (Video)
Check out all Breakfast recipes.
Homemade Chocolate Granola Recipe (Super Easy and Healthy!)
Healthy Dark Chocolate Granola Recipe Ingredients
- 4 cups – organic rolled oats
- ½ cup – organic sprouted pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup – organic almond slivers
- ¼ cup – organic chia seeds
- ¼ cup – organic flax seeds
- ⅓ cup – organic cacao powder
- ½ cup – organic virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup – organic maple syrup
- ¼ cup – organic light brown sugar
- ½ tsp. – Raymond Real sea salt
- 1 tsp. – pure vanilla extract
How to Make Chocolate Granola
- Start by adding coconut oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla extract into a small bowl. Place a glass bowl over a hot water bath and stir them all together until they're all melted.
- In a separate large bowl, toss and mix together all the dry ingredients together, namely the rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, almond slivers, and cacao powder.
- Pour the melted liquid mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix all together until well combined.
- Transfer the uncooked granola onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread it out evenly with the help of a spatula
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325 F for 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the granola cool completely before crushing it into small pieces. Your delicious chocolate granola is ready to be served!
This recipe was originally posted on October 1, 2020 (original picture below), and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.