This Granola Recipe is so quick and easy to make that you won't ever think of buying store-bought granola again! There just isn't anything like homemade granola, and this recipe is the very best combining pantry-staple ingredients for the perfect and most comforting breakfast treat!
Making granola at home can mean you not only save a ton of money in the long-term, but you're also going to be able to have granola guilt-free since it's made with healthy ingredients that are incredibly good for you.
It's made using whole rolled oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, unrefined oil, and natural sweeteners for the most delicious breakfast option ever. Have it on its own, on top of some yogurt or smoothie bowl, or even in cereal and I'm sure you're going to absolutely love it!
I've also shared tons of ideas on how to customize the recipe to fit your personal preferences! This truly is the best granola recipe out there.
Want to learn how to make this granola recipe at home? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is Granola?
- What Makes This Granola Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make This Granola Recipe at Home
- How to Make This Granola Recipe (Step-by-Step)
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Granola
- Tips for Making the Best Granola Ever
- How to Store Leftover Granola
- Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- The Best Granola Recipe Ever (Easy, Customizable, and Tasty)
What is Granola?
Granola is a type of breakfast cereal made from rolled oats, nuts, and other ingredients like dried fruit or seeds. It is usually sweetened with honey or sugar and baked until it becomes crunchy.
Granola is often eaten as a snack or with milk as a breakfast cereal. It can also be used as an ingredient in baking recipes such as muffins, cookies, and granola bars.
Store-bought granola can be both expensive and filled with unhealthy ingredients such as saturated fats, refined sugars, and fillers that aren't good for you.
This homemade granola recipe will help solve all of those problems and give you a great taste of granola right in the comfort of your home using pantry staple ingredients.
I'm sure you're going to fall in love with this healthy granola recipe!
What Makes This Granola Recipe Special?
What makes this granola recipe special is the combination of ingredients that make it both delicious and nutritious.
The rolled oats provide a base of complex carbohydrates, while the almonds and flax seeds add healthy fats and protein. The addition of freeze-dried strawberries gives it a tangy sweetness that pairs perfectly with the crunchy texture of the oats and nuts.
But that's not all, here are some other reasons for why this granola recipe is incredibly special:
Versatile: This granola recipe is incredibly versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. You can enjoy it as a snack, use it as a topping for yogurt or oatmeal, or even add it to your favorite baking recipes.
Customizable: You can customize this granola recipe to your own tastes and preferences. You can add different types of nuts, seeds, dried fruits, or even chocolate chips for a more indulgent treat.
Healthy: This granola recipe is made with healthy ingredients such as rolled oats, almonds, flax seeds, and freeze-dried strawberries. It's free from unhealthy saturated fats, making it a much healthier option than store-bought granola.
Quick & Easy: This recipe is incredibly quick and easy to make. All you need to do is mix the ingredients together, spread them on a baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes. That's it!
Delicious: The combination of rolled oats, almonds, flax seeds, and freeze-dried strawberries make this granola recipe incredibly delicious. It's sweet, crunchy, and full of flavor!
So what are you waiting for? Let's get started on making this delicious homemade granola recipe!
What You Need to Make This Granola Recipe at Home
All you need are some basic, pantry staple ingredients to make this delicious granola recipe at home. Let's look at what these are in more detail:
- Oats: To make homemade granola, you'll need some whole rolled oats. Don't go for anything that says 'instant' or 'quick-cooking oats' since that means they are processed and have a higher glycemic index making them bad for you.
- Almond slivers: We'll also be using some almond slivers for our nuts. To keep almond slivers fresh, I freeze the entire bag. When needed just scoop as much as needed for the recipe.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds are incredibly healthy for you as they add healthy protein and fats to your granola.
- Coconut oil: Oil will help make the granola crisp and absolutely delicious. I recommend using unrefined coconut oil as it adds a really subtle flavor and will give you granola with the best texture ever.
- Brown sugar: We'll also be adding some brown sugar to add a bit more sweetness and flavor. Brown sugar has a deeper flavor than white granulated sugar so I recommend using this instead.
- Maple syrup: To naturally sweeten the granola, we'll be using some real maple syrup. You can also use honey or agave nectar if you prefer. It helps make the granola crunchy after it has been baked.
- Sea salt: We'll also be adding a little salt to this granola recipe as it reduces the overall sweetness yet brings out all the flavors perfectly.
- Vanilla extract: You'll also need one teaspoon vanilla extract for this recipe and it'll not only add an incredible aroma to your granola but also make it taste amazing.
- Freeze-Dried strawberries: Freeze-dried strawberries are a great addition to this granola recipe. They add a sweet, tangy flavor and provide a nice contrast to the crunchy texture of the oats and nuts. I get them at Trader Joe's, Natural Grocer's, or Hukleberry (not sponsored), and you can find any kind of dried fruit at most natural grocery stores.
How to Make This Granola Recipe (Step-by-Step)
Making this delicious homemade granola recipe is easier than you think! Here's what you need to do to make it at home:
Start by preheating the oven to 325 F. Then measure out rolled oats, almond slivers, and flax seeds and place them into a large bowl and set it aside.
Next, combine coconut oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl. Place the bowl over a water bath for all the ingredients to melt and incorporate.
Pour liquefied syrup into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir it all well to combine.
Transfer the mixture onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, and spread it into an even layer. Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated oven to 325 F.
After it's done baking, remove it from the oven and let cool completely for the granola to crystalize and harden.
Once done, sprinkle freeze-dried strawberries on top and break the clumpy granola into the desired pieces and mix it all together.
Enjoy it on its own or you can add it on top of a bowl of yogurt, cereal, smoothie bowl, or even oatmeal!
Recipe Variation Ideas for Granola
This granola recipe is going to give you the best-tasting granola ever! But if you're looking to customize it according to your own preferences, then you're in for a treat because this is the perfect recipe for that! Here are some ideas you can try out:
Nuts: You can add any other nuts you love such as cashews, walnuts, pecans, and even pistachios. Experiment and you can make unlimited flavors of granola with just this one recipe.
Dried fruit: Another option is to try adding some different dried fruits to the recipe such as dried cherries, dried apricots, raisins, dried cranberries, and any other ones you love most.
Seeds: Apart from flaxseeds, you can also add other ones such as sunflower seeds and chia seeds to add more nutritious ingredients to your granola.
Spices: You can also change up the flavor by adding some warm delicious spices to the granola. Some great examples include cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom.
Chocolate chips: If you're looking to make a more indulgent granola, you can add some chocolate chips after the granola has completely cooled!
Oil: You can also use extra-virgin olive oil if that's what's available, but it'll make your granola a bit more savory tasting. I don't recommend using canola oil since it's unhealthy and can lead to inflammation.
Tips for Making the Best Granola Ever
Making the best granola ever is easy with a few simple tips! Here are some of my favorite tips for making the perfect granola:
- Use quality ingredients: Make sure to use high-quality ingredients when making your granola. This will ensure that you get the best flavor and texture possible.
- Don’t overbake: It's important to keep an eye on your granola while it's baking in the oven. Overbaking can cause it to become too crunchy and burnt.
- Let cool completely: After baking, make sure to let the granola cool completely before breaking it into pieces. This will help it become crunchy and crystallized.
- Add dried fruit: Adding dried fruit like freeze-dried strawberries is a great way to add flavor and texture to your granola.
- Incorporate nuts and seeds: Adding nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, and flaxseeds is a great way to add more nutrition and flavor to your granola.
- Try adding spices: If you're looking to customize your granola, try adding spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. This is a great way to add more flavor to your granola. Check out the variation section above for more ideas.
- Store in an airtight container: Once your granola is cooled and ready to eat, make sure to store it in an airtight container. This will help keep it fresh for longer.
How to Store Leftover Granola
The granola can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for one to two weeks, or in a freezer bag for up to three months. Before serving, allow the dried fruit to return to room temperature for five to ten minutes.
Similar Recipes You'll Love
- The Best Healthy Dark Chocolate Granola
- Berry Granola Greek Yogurt Bowl
- Berry Greek Yogurt Granola Parfait
- Breakfast Cottage Cheese Fruit Granola Parfait
The Best Granola Recipe Ever (Easy, Customizable, and Tasty)
- 4 cups – organic rolled oats
- 1 cup - almond slivers
- ¼ cup – organic flax seeds
- ½ cup – organic virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup – brown sugar
- ½ cup – organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp. – pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. – sea salt
- 1.2 oz. – Freeze Dried Strawberries
How to Make This Granola Recipe
- Start by preheating the oven to 325 F. Then measure out rolled oats, almond slivers, and flax seeds and place them into a large bowl and set it aside.
- Next, combine coconut oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl. Place the bowl over a water bath for all the ingredients to melt and incorporate.
- Pour liquefied syrup into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir it all well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and spread it into an even layer. Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated oven to 325 F.
- After it's done baking, remove it from the oven and let cool completely for the granola to crystalize and harden.
- Finally, break cold crystalized granola into desired pieces, sprinkle and mix in freeze-dried strawberries.
- Enjoy it on its own or you can add it on top of a bowl of yogurt, cereal, smoothie bowl, or even oatmeal!
This recipe was originally posted on May 30, 2019 (original picture below), and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.