If you're looking for delicious, filled crepes that are soft and absolutely melt in your mouth, then you need to try Nalisniki! With the tastiest filling you can ever imagine, you'll end up with a sweet and satisfying treat that the whole family will love!
Nalisniki (налесники), also known as Ukrainian filled crepes or blintzes, is a traditional Ukrainian dish that has been passed down for generations. They're thin, delicate crepes that are filled with a creamy mixture of cottage cheese and cream cheese then rolled and baked until golden brown.
Making them from scratch may seem hard, but anyone can create these delicious crepes at home with a few simple ingredients and a little practice. The ingredients for this nalisniki recipe are very basic and most are simple staple pantry ingredients.
You can also adjust the thickness of the crepes by making the batter thicker! To get foolproof crepes every single time, I recommend using a crepe maker as I do which will definitely make your life easier.
Nalisniki is very versatile and can be served for breakfast, brunch, or even as a dessert. They can be enjoyed on their own, topped with fresh fruit or powdered sugar, or served with a dollop of sour cream or whipped cream. These are a family favorite for us, and the kids just can't seem to get enough of them when they're around!
Whether you're looking to impress your guests with a traditional Ukrainian dish or simply craving something delicious, nalisniki is a must-try recipe that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Want to learn how to make Nalisniki at home? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is Nalisniki?
- What Makes This Nalisniki Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Nalisniki at Home
- How to Make Nalisniki (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Nalisniki Ever
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Nalisniki
- How to Store Leftover Nalisniki
- More Breakfast Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- Authentic Nalisniki (Ukrainian Crepes with Cheese Filling)
What is Nalisniki?
Nalisniki (nalysnyky) is a sweet and satisfying treat that is often served for breakfast or dessert. They're delicious, thin crepes, filled with cottage and cream cheese and baked to golden brown perfection. The filling in this recipe is vanilla flavored, but it can also be easily adjusted to suit your preference.
This delicious dessert originated in Ukraine in the early 16th century. They were originally filled with savory ingredients like meat, potatoes, and vegetables. However, over time, the savory ingredients were replaced with sweet ones to make the tasty dessert we know and love today.
Nalisniki also known as cheese blintzes, cheese crepes, and blinchiki. If you've always wanted to try making some delicious crepes, but with a tasty twist, then you're going to absolutely fall in love with Nalisniki!
What Makes This Nalisniki Recipe Special?
There are tons of reasons why this recipe is the best one you'll ever find! Here are some of the main reasons why you should try it:
Authentic: If you've always been looking for an authentic recipe for Nalisniki that has been passed down generations, then this is the one you need to try! It tastes absolutely incredible and is the best recipe you'll find online that gives great results every single time.
Customizable: The filling in this recipe can be easily adjusted to your liking. Swap out the vanilla extract for almond or lemon and it's like a whole new dish! You can also add savory fillings to this delicious treat.
Family favorite: Nalisniki is a delightfully mouthwatering dish. It makes a great dessert or a nice sweet breakfast for any day of the week. It's something the whole family is going to absolutely fall in love with!
What You Need to Make Nalisniki at Home
All you need are some simple ingredients to make the most delicious crepes you've ever tried. Let's look at them in more detail:
For the Batter:
- Milk: First we'll need milk for a nalisniki recipe. Try to use whole milk if you can, the fat content in it makes these crepes extra rich.
- Eggs: The next ingredient we need is a few eggs. They add a nice rich flavor and moist texture to nalisniki for the tastiest ones you've ever tried.
- Salt: We're going to use a little salt also. This will balance out the sweetness of the other ingredients while also helping bring out their flavor.
- Canola oil: We'll also need some canola oil to add to the batter. It will give our nalisniki a light and tender texture while preventing them from sticking to the pan.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is going to be the base of our nalisniki batter. It binds all the ingredients together and makes a light and fluffy finished product.
For the Filling:
- Cottage cheese: The creamy and slightly tangy flavor of cottage cheese is perfect for these sweet crepes. Plus it's a healthy addition of protein and calcium!
- Cream cheese: We'll also need some cream cheese for our nalisniki. The rich creaminess perfectly compliments the tanginess of the cottage cheese for the perfect filling!
- Sugar: We're going to use sugar to provide the right level of sweetness that'll make these crepes incredibly delicious!
- Vanilla extract: We are going to use a little pure vanilla extract in this recipe. It's slightly sweet with a great floral aroma to elevate the flavors and make your nalisniki taste even better.
- Butter: Butter will give our nalisniki a great rich flavor and we'll use this to coat the crepes before baking them. Make sure to use unsalted so they don't turn out too salty and the flavor tastes just right!
How to Make Nalisniki (Step-by-Step)
Making Nalisniki is easier than you think. In just a few easy steps, you'll have the tastiest filled crepes you've ever had in your life. Let's look at these in more detail:
How to Make Nalisniki Batter
Let's start by making our batter first. In a large bowl, add the milk, eggs, salt, and oil. Beat these ingredients with a hand mixer for 30 seconds.
Next, divide the batter in half and sift in the flour and mix it until it has a smooth texture. Then slowly add reserved batter and mix it well so the batter is not too thick.
Next, pour a cup of batter into crepe making plate.
Now, heat the crepe maker.
Then dip the crepe maker onto the plate.
Cook it for 15 to 20 seconds. Personally, I turn them over so they can cook for another 5 seconds since this prevents them from sticking to each other.
Your nalisniki crepes are ready to be filled. Set them aside for now.
How to Make Nalisniki Filling
Let's make the filling next. Start by grinding your cottage cheese so it's easier to add to the crepes.
Then in a medium bowl add the cottage cheese, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Mix it with a hand mixer for 2 minutes or until it's all combined.
Set the filling aside until ready to use.
How to Assemble Nalisniki
Time to assemble our delicious nalisniki!
Place one crepe on the cutting board with the dull side up and the shiny side lying on the board. I like to place them that way so that when you roll them they will look nice and shiny.
Place a rounded tablespoon full of cream in the crepe. Spread it evenly, roll it into a nice tight roll, cut it in half, and place them on the ceramic pan.
When there is a full row of cheese crepes, coat the crepes with melted butter.
Next, place the second row of the crepes the opposite way so the rows come out nice and even.
Repeat these steps until you use all the crepes and cheese.
Cover them with foil. Bake it for 45 minutes at 350 F.
Remove from the oven once they're done.
NOTE: You can also refrigerate them until you're ready to cook. They can stay in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking. These crepes are a good dessert that can be prepared ahead of time.
Your delicious Nalisniki is ready to be served!
Tips for Making the Best Nalisniki Ever
Mix the batter well: Make sure to mix the batter until it’s completely smooth and not too thick or the crepes will not be light and fluffy.
Grind the cottage cheese: Make sure to grind your cottage cheese before adding it so that you don’t have lumps in your filling.
Allow the batter to rest: Once you’ve made your batter, let it sit for at least 10 minutes before using it. This will give the flour time to absorb the liquid and create a light and fluffy texture.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Nalisniki
Nalisniki is a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit any palate. Here are some creative recipe variations that you can try with these delicious crepes:
- Fruit filling: Replace the cheese filling with a combination of fresh berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and apples. Top the crepes with a dollop of whipped cream, jam, or preserves for a delicious treat.
- Nutella filling: Who doesn't love a classic Nutella filling? Spread a generous amount of Nutella on each crepe along with some chopped hazelnuts before rolling it up for a sweet treat that's sure to please.
- Chocolate Filling: For an extra indulgent version of nalisniki, combine cream cheese with melted chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and a bit of sugar.
- Savory Filling: For a delicious savory version of nalisniki, fill the crepes with sautéed mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and garlic. You can also add some shredded cheese or diced bacon to make it even more flavorful.
How to Store Leftover Nalisniki
Leftover nalisniki can easily be stored in the refrigerator or freezer to enjoy later. To store them in the refrigerator, place them on a plate and cover them with plastic wrap or foil. This will keep them fresh for up to 3 days.
You can also refrigerate prepped nalisniki in the fridge for up to 3 days before baking and serving them, which makes them the perfect make-ahead breakfast or dessert!
If you plan on freezing them, allow them to cool completely before transferring them to an airtight container or freezer bag. Nalisniki will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, allow them to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
More Breakfast Recipes You'll Love
- Authentic Ukrainian Sirniki (Cottage Cheese Pancakes)
- Super Easy Farmer's Cheese Recipe (No-Fail Results!)
- Breakfast Cottage Cheese Fruit Granola Parfait Recipe
Authentic Nalisniki (Ukrainian Crepes with Cheese Filling)
Nalisniki Batter Ingredients
- 4 cups – organic whole milk
- 5 – eggs
- ¼ tsp. – sea salt
- ¼ cup - extra light olive oil
- 3 cups – organic all-purpose flour
Nalisniki Cheese Filling
- 24 oz. – cottage cheese (you may substitute cottage cheese with homemade farmer's cheese)
- 8 oz. – cream cheese softened
- ½ - ¾ cup – organic sugar
- 1 tsp. – vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp. – unsalted melted butter (to coat crepes between layers)
How to Make Nalisniki Batter
- Let's start by making our batter first. In a large bowl, add the milk, eggs, salt, and oil. Beat these ingredients with a hand mixer for 30 seconds.
- Next, divide the batter in half and sift in the flour and mix it until it has a smooth texture. Then slowly add reserved batter and mix it well so the batter is not too thick.
- Next, pour a cup of batter into crepe making plate.
- Now, heat the crepe maker.
- Then dip the crepe maker onto the plate.
- Cook it for 15 to 20 seconds. Personally, I turn them over so they can cook for another 5 seconds since this prevents them from sticking to each other.
- Your nalisniki crepes are ready to be filled. Set them aside for now.
How to Make Nalisniki Filling
- Let's make the filling next. Start by grinding your cottage cheese so it's easier to add to the crepes.
- Then in a medium bowl add the cottage cheese, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Mix it with a hand mixer for 2 minutes or until it's all combined.
- Set the filling aside until ready to use.
How to Assemble Nalisniki
- Time to assemble our delicious nalisniki!
- Place one crepe on the cutting board with the dull side up and the shiny side lying on the board. I like to place them that way so that when you roll them they will look nice and shiny.
- Place a rounded tablespoon full of cream in the crepe. Spread it evenly, roll it into a nice tight roll, cut it in half, and place them on the ceramic pan.
- When there is a full row of cheese crepes, coat the crepes with melted butter.
- Next, place the second row of the crepes the opposite way so the rows come out nice and even.
- Repeat these steps until you use all the crepes and cheese.
- Cover them with foil. Bake it for 45 minutes at 350 F.
- Remove from the oven once they're done.
Thank you for following me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
This recipe was originally posted on October 23, 2014 (original picture below), and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
Hi Valya, looks delicious! If I wanted to make these with strawberries and Nutella, how can I make them a little thicker? Thanks!
Valya of Valya's Taste of Home says
Add less milk. I hope that helps.
Thank you !
If I have 5 people in my family is it better to cut this blinchiki recipe in half ?
You can easily split this recipe in half.
One of my favorite home cooked meals in the world. Looks like its time to go food shopping and try to make it as good as the picture. Nice Job Valya!
Thanks Slavic! They are really good 🙂
Kathy @ Olives & Garlic says
My mom makes blinchiki very similar to these. I adore them. This is a wonderful recipe that I'll be making on Sunday for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Kathy! They are really good. I love them a lot too. Let me know how they turned out for you and how you like them. 🙂
olga vorobey says
Yummy..My favorite dessert...I make my filling with Farmers cheese instead of cottage cheese....they come out delicious....Reminds me to make some this week....
You can make filling out of farmer's cheese too. I've done it many times. Thanks, Olga! 🙂
Oh my! My most favorite dish for any time of the day and all day! I can eat this for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between all those! Yuuuuuuuuummmmmyyyyy!!! 🙂 thanks so much for sharing this!!!
Thanks Natasha! I agree. They are really good. 🙂
Hi Valya, Thank you so much for sharing your recipes. I would like to share that I also have the same pancake gadget for many years and I love it! Really important not to scratch the surface or it'll ruin the pancake top. I also like to add a little of baking soda (like 1/4 tsp) and small amount of sugar into the pancake batter when I make blinchiki. I love your addition of vanilla, I will definitely incorporate that next time I'm making the blinchiki. Thank you, again for taking the time to share your beautiful creations with us.:) Keep up the great work!
Yes. You have to be careful not to scratch the top or it will start peeling. I tried adding baking soda to the batter in the past. It makes блинчики much harder. I like it better with out it. Crepes are so much softer. Thanks Tanya! 😉
Wow just love your pics! It looks so good that I want to make it! Thank u for sharing it with us! God bless!!!
Thank you Tatyana! That is so sweet of you! 😉
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
These crepes look incredible! I love the cheese filling and the presentation. Such a wonderful idea to make these since it's been in your family for generations!
It is Gayle. They bring lots of childhood memories. They are very delicious and the great thing about this recipe is you can make it ahead of time. Thanks again, Gayle. 🙂
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy says
Cheese pancakes sound delicious. But then, anything with cheese is good with me.
Thanks Dannii! This crepes are great. 🙂
Katya @ Little Broken says
These look so good Val! I grew up eating something similar that my mom made for us and to this day crepes are a favorite weekend breakfast for us.
Thanks Katya! They are so delicious, and great for any time of the day!