This Banana Hot Dog recipe is a fun and affordable reinterpretation of Elvis's favorite sandwich, combining the familiar flavors of peanut butter and banana in a surprising new way. Its charming ballpark theme is sure to make it a hit at your next family meal or gathering.
If you're looking for a snack that's as fun to make as it is to eat, our banana hot dog recipe is just the ticket. With a plain banana as the base, the sky's the limit when it comes to loading up on toppings, making this a perfect activity for kids and a tasty treat for everyone.
The banana hot dog recipe is a unique and delicious treat that's easy to make and fun to eat. If you're looking for more simple and tasty recipes, try my apple snacks for a sweet treat, or my cucumber bites appetizers and turkey pinwheels for a savory snack that's sure to impress.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy: This recipe is incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple steps, you'll have a tasty treat ready in no time.
- Classic Flavors: This recipe brings together the classic flavors of peanut butter and jelly with a fun twist, making it a hit with both kids and adults.
- Crowd Pleaser: Whether you're hosting a kids' party or a casual get-together, these banana hot dogs are sure to please the crowd.
- Comfort Food: There's something comforting about the combination of peanut butter, jelly, and bananas. This recipe takes that comfort to a whole new level.
- Budget-Friendly: With just a few affordable ingredients, this recipe is easy on the wallet without sacrificing flavor.
All you need are some simple pantry staple ingredients to make this banana hot dog recipe at home. Let's look at them in more detail:
- Hot dog buns: These will serve as the base for our recipe, providing a soft and fluffy texture that contrasts beautifully with the other ingredients.
- Ripe bananas: The star of our recipe, ripe bananas offer a natural sweetness and a creamy texture that pairs perfectly with the peanut butter and strawberry spread.
- Peanut butter: This ingredient adds a rich, nutty flavor to the recipe, complimented by its creamy consistency that melds well with the bananas.
- Organic or homemade strawberry spread: This will be used to add a tangy sweetness to our recipe, balancing out the richness of the peanut butter and the sweetness of the bananas.
For a full list of ingredients and quantities, please check the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Make Banana Hot Dog
Making this incredible banana hot dog is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
Toast buns: Toast the hot dog buns until they are golden brown and crispy. Allow the buns to cool completely before proceeding to the next step. This will help guarantee that the spreads do not melt and run off the bun.
Spread Jam and PB: Spread strawberry jam on one side of the bun and peanut butter on the other side. The combination of these two ingredients will give your banana hot dog a sweet and nutty flavor.
Place Banana: Place a peeled banana in the middle of the bun. The banana should fit snugly between the two sides of the bun, just like a traditional hot dog.
Decorate with Strawberry Spread: Place 4 tablespoons of strawberry spread into a zip lock bag. Cut off one corner of the bag and squeeze out 1 tablespoon of the jam on top of the banana. This will add a pop of color and an extra layer of sweetness to your banana hot dog. Repeat this step with the remaining ingredients.
Serve: Enjoy your banana hot dog with a cup of milk! This simple, fun, and nutritious recipe is perfect for a quick breakfast or an afternoon snack.
For a full list of ingredients and instructions, see the recipe card below.
Tips for Making the Best Banana Hot Dog
- Choose ripe bananas: For this recipe, it is best to use ripe bananas. They are sweeter, softer, and easier to eat.
- Toast the buns: Toast your hot dog buns for a few minutes until they are golden brown. This will add a nice crunch to your banana hot dog.
- Use quality peanut butter and jam: The quality of your peanut butter and jam can make a big difference in the taste of your banana hot dog. Opt for organic or homemade strawberry spread and a good quality peanut butter.
- Let the buns cool: After toasting the buns, let them cool completely before spreading the peanut butter and jam. This will prevent the spreads from melting and making the buns soggy.
- Be creative with toppings: Feel free to add some extra toppings to your banana hot dog. You could sprinkle some granola, chocolate chips, or even drizzle some honey on top for extra flavor.
- Start your day on a sweet note by enjoying this banana hot dog with a glass of fresh orange juice. The tangy citrus flavor compliments the sweet and creamy banana hot dog perfectly.
- Looking for a dessert twist? Drizzle some Nutella or chocolate chips on your banana hot dog. The rich chocolate flavor enhances the sweetness of the bananas and peanut butter.
- For a quick and easy snack, enjoy your banana hot dog with a handful of granola or almonds. The crunchiness of the granola or almonds adds an interesting texture to the soft banana and creamy peanut butter.
Recipe Variation Ideas
This delicious banana hot dog recipe is absolutely perfect as is, but if you're looking to change things up, here are a few variation ideas you can try:
- Chocolatey: For those with a sweet tooth, this variation is perfect. Simply spread a tablespoon of Nutella on the hot dog bun before placing the banana. The rich, creamy chocolate flavor pairs perfectly with the banana and peanut butter.
- Berries: If you love berries, this variation is a must-try. Replace the strawberry jam with a mixed berry jam and sprinkle some fresh blueberries on top. The tangy-sweet flavor of the berries compliments the creaminess of the peanut butter and the sweetness of the banana.
- Nutty: For nut lovers, try this variation. Sprinkle some crushed almonds or peanuts on top of the banana before closing the bun. The nuts add a crunchy texture and enhance the flavor of the banana and peanut butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe, you should use ripe bananas. They are sweet and soft, which pairs well with the other ingredients. If your bananas are a bit green, let them sit out for a few days to ripen.
Yes, you can. While this recipe calls for hot dog buns, you can also use whole wheat bread or brioche buns. Just make sure the bread you choose is sturdy enough to hold the banana and other ingredients.
If you're allergic to peanuts or simply don't like peanut butter, you can substitute it with almond butter or Nutella. Both options will give your banana hot dog a different, but still delicious, taste.
Absolutely! Feel free to sprinkle some granola, chocolate chips, or blueberries on top for extra flavor and crunch. You can also drizzle some honey or your jelly of choice for added sweetness.
How to Store Leftovers
- Refrigerate: If you have any leftovers of this banana hot dog recipe, simply place them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for up to 2 days.
- Freezing: Unfortunately, this recipe does not freeze well due to the nature of the ingredients. The bananas and hot dog bun may become mushy and lose their texture when thawed. It is best to enjoy this recipe fresh or within a couple of days from the refrigerator.
Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Easy Apple Snack Recipe (Kids Approved Healthy Snacks!)
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars (Using Simple Pantry Ingredients)
- Caramel Corn Snack
See all the kids' snack recipes.
Easy Banana Hot Dog Recipe (PB&J with Bananas)
For the PB&J Banana Hot Dog
- 4 – hot dog buns
- 4 – bananas
- 8 tbsp. – peanut butter
- ½ cup – strawberry jam
How to Make PB&J Banana Hot Dog
- Toast buns: Toast the hot dog buns until they are golden brown and crispy. Allow the buns to cool completely before proceeding to the next step. This will help guarantee that the spreads do not melt and run off the bun.
- Spread Jam and PB: Spread strawberry jam on one side of the bun and peanut butter on the other side. The combination of these two ingredients will give your banana hot dog a sweet and nutty flavor.
- Place Banana: Place a peeled banana in the middle of the bun. The banana should fit snugly between the two sides of the bun, just like a traditional hot dog.
- Decorate with Strawberry Spread: Place 4 tablespoons of strawberry spread into azip lock bag. Cut off one corner of the bag and squeeze out 1 tablespoon of the jam on top of the banana. This will add a pop of color and an extra layer of sweetness to your banana hot dog. Repeat this step with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve: Enjoy your banana hot dog with a cup of milk! This simple, fun, and nutritious recipe is perfect for a quick breakfast or an afternoon snack.
This recipe was originally posted on July 27, 2015 (original picture below). I tweaked it a bit including tips and tricks on making the perfect cinnamon rolls you'll love! This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.