These Smoked Salmon Canapes are the ideal appetizer or finger food for just about any special occasion or holiday! Made of smoked salmon slices on top of homemade French bread, along with fresh fill and cream cheese for the perfect savory starter.
If you love the delicious flavor of smoked salmon, then you’re going to fall in love with these. They are incredibly easy and quick to put together and make people very happy! You could call them the perfect appetizer for entertaining guests for sure!
I use my Homemade French Bread recipe for a more homemade taste and elevate the cream cheese with pressed garlic and a little salt to enhance the flavors of these bites even more.
I’ve also made them with my homemade mayonnaise and pressed garlic before. Either of these two spread choices makes them very tasty.
These canapés not only taste incredible but they add a decorating touch to your party table well. The only problem that seems to be with these little treats is no matter how many you make, they fly off the table way too quickly! So, make extras!
Want to learn how to make these delicious Smoked Salmon Canapes? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is Smoked Salmon Canapes?
- What’s Special About This Smoked Salmon Canapes Recipe
- What You Need to Make Smoked Salmon Canapes at Home
- How to Make Smoked Salmon Canape (Step-by-Step)
- How to Serve Smoked Salmon Canapes
- Variation Idea for Smoked Salmon Canape Toppings
- How to Store Leftover Smoked Salmon Canapes
- More Appetizer Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- Smoked Salmon Canapés (Classic Recipe for all Occasions)
What is Smoked Salmon Canapes?
Canapes are small, savory finger food bites that usually have a bread or pastry base with delicious toppings on top!
And Smoked Salmon Canapes are exactly what they sound like: delicious bite-sized savory appetizers that are topped with smoked salmon, cream cheese, dill, and other toppings to take it to the next level.
They make for the perfect simple yet crowd-pleasing appetizer for Christmas dinner, or any other special occasion like a birthday, anniversary, or even a date night at home for your significant other.
These canapes have a beautiful, mild flavor that is appealing to just about everyone and is sure to win hearts! Trust me, when you try it once you’re bound to fall in love with them!
What’s Special About This Smoked Salmon Canapes Recipe
This recipe is absolutely perfect, giving you delicious results every single time! You don’t have to make anything special for these, and although my recipe calls for homemade French bread, you can even use store-bought kind.
It’s an incredibly simple recipe to follow that makes for a tasty snack or the ideal holiday starter. There are also a bunch of different topping options you can explore to customize it according to your preferences.
Even if don’t have any experience cooking in the kitchen, you can make these incredibly easily!
I don’t make them very often because the smoked salmon is a little on the pricey side, but these appetizers are worth it. Especially for gatherings, holidays, and special occasions including Christmas, Thanksgiving, and even Easter.
So, surprise your guests with this great-tasting treat to tide them over until the main course arrives.
What You Need to Make Smoked Salmon Canapes at Home
Making these delicious Smoked Salmon Canapes requires the simplest ingredients ever. Here’s what you’ll need:
Smoked Salmon Canapés Ingredients for Option One:
- Bread: For the first option, you can use some sliced baguette bread for the perfect crostini-style canapes. They’re an ideal base for just about any topping, especially smoked salmon!
- Homemade mayonnaise: To add a delicious layer of flavor on top, we’ll be using some mayonnaise. I’ve used my homemade mayonnaise recipe to make the flavor of the canapes extra delicious and special, but you can use store-bought mayo as well.
- Smoked salmon: Of course, you’ll also need some smoked salmon to make these canapes. I’ve used wild smoked salmon slices for this recipe. In case you go for frozen smoked salmon, you’ll need to let it defrost before using it.
- Cucumber: For a beautiful, fresh flavor, we’ll also be adding a cucumber slice on top of each canape (cucumber slicer)!
- Fresh dill: Fresh dill pairs perfectly with some smoked salmon. We’ll be adding a sprig of dill on top as a garnish.
- Pomegranate: The other garnish we’ll use is some pomegranate seeds
Smoked Salmon Canapés Ingredients Option Two:
- Bread: In our second option for the bread, we’ll be using some homemade French bread that will add a delicious homemade touch to the canapes and really take them to the next level.
- Smoked salmon: We’ll also need some delicious smoked salmon, of course, for the second option as well. I’ve used presliced salmon here, but you can use the regular kind that you slice yourself.
- Cream cheese: Cream cheese goes so beautifully with the flavors in this canape. It’s not only lightly creamy but also a bit sour which balances out all the flavors.
- Garlic: You’ll also need a garlic clove that we’ll mince into our cream cheese to get a light garlic flavor that pairs incredibly with smoked salmon.
- Salt: To season the cream cheese, we’ll also be using a little salt. I haven’t used black pepper but you can if you like.
- Garnishes: To garnish this second option, we’ll be using some fresh chives, dill, and pomegranate that together really make a flavor-packed combination.
How to Make Smoked Salmon Canape (Step-by-Step)
Making these delicious holiday bites is super easy! Here’s what you need to do to make it step by step:
How to Make the Homemade Bread for Canapes
Let’s start by making our bread! You may use the Homemade French Bread dough recipe to make bread or store-bought baguette for these canapés.
Place the dough on the cutting board dusted with a little flour. Make a log and cut the dough into four equal pieces.
Roll each piece into small bread loaves, then place them on the pan lined with parchment paper.
Let the loaves rise in a warm place for 20 minutes before baking. I carefully use the oven for this. Preheat it to 105 then turn it off, and then place the pan with bread loaves to rise.
Remove the bread from the oven, and then preheat the oven to 350 F.
Bake the bread for 25 minutes. Remove once done and cool completely before slicing.
You can make the loaves ahead of time and freeze them. Pull 2 loaves from the freezer and let them thaw for about 3 hours before slicing.
Keep the other 2 loaves in the freezer for next time or if you have a big family or gathering double the canapé topping recipe and use all four loaves.
How to Assemble Smoked Salmon Canapés
Time to assemble our delicious canapes! Slice the loaves of bread into thin ¼ of inch slices or thicker, if desired.
Next, spread a teaspoon of homemade mayonnaise on each slice.
For the second option of topping, combine cream cheese, pressed garlic, and salt. Spread a thin layer of the mixture on each bread slice.
Place a piece of smoked salmon on each slice of bread on top of the cream cheese or mayonnaise. Then place a slice of cucumber on top of the salmon.
Garnish each canape any way you prefer (first or second option).
Your delicious Smoked Salmon Canapes are ready to be served!
How to Serve Smoked Salmon Canapes
You can serve these delicious Smoked Salmon Canapes as an appetizer, starter, or even a snack. They also work beautifully for holiday dinners, such as a starter for Christmas dinner.
These canapes are also great to serve during a Sunday brunch for your guests.
Variation Idea for Smoked Salmon Canape Toppings
Both the options for these Smoked Salmon Canapes are absolutely delicious, but if you’re looking to add your own touch to it here are some ideas you can try out:
Different cream cheese: One of the most fun ways to easily change up the flavors in these smoked salmon canapes is to change the cream cheese. I’ve already shown you a recipe above with garlic, but you can also add some minced scallions.
Different base: Instead of using homemade French bread, or even store-bought baguette, you can also use some savory crackers.
Different toppings: There are so many great topping ideas that work beautifully with this recipe. You can use other fresh herbs such as parsley, or even go with some toppings like lemon juice, red onions, avocado, olives, capers, and diced tomato.
How to Store Leftover Smoked Salmon Canapes
These canapes are best served fresh since they’ll be crisp and delicious. You can also make them a few hours ahead of time and place them in the fridge before you’re ready to serve.
Alternatively, you can also prep all the different components a day ahead and then assemble them all immediately before serving them.
I wouldn’t recommend freezing these canapes since it will greatly alter the texture of all the different components.
More Appetizer Recipes You'll Love
- Tomato Cucumber and Mozzarella Cheese Kabobs
- Taco Bites Appetizers
- Easy Baked Meatballs
- Chicken Bacon Alfredo Canapés
- Pinecone Cheese Spread Appetizer
- Tasty Chicken Fritters
- Carrot and Cheese Canapés
Check out all appetizers HERE.
Smoked Salmon Canapés (Classic Recipe for all Occasions)
Smoked Salmon Canapés Option One Ingredients
- 1 – baguette bread (I used the Costco kind)
- ½ cup - homemade mayonnaise
- 1 pack – wild smoked salmon (I used Kirkland Costco brand)
- 1 – organic long English cucumber
- Dill and pomegranate to garnish canapes
Smoked Salmon Canapés Option Two Ingredients
- 2 loaves – Homemade French Bread
- 1 pack – Kirkland smoked salmon
- ½ pack – cream cheese (softened)
- 1 garlic - glove pressed
- ¼ tsp. - sea salt
- Chives, dill, and pomegranate to garnish canapes
How to Make the Homemade Bread for Canapes
- Let’s start by making our bread! You may use the Homemade French Bread dough recipe to make bread or store-bought baguette for these canapés.
- Place the dough on the cutting board dusted with a little flour. Make a log and cut the dough into four equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into small bread loaves, then place them on the pan lined with parchment paper.
- Let the loaves rise in a warm place for 20 minutes before baking. I carefully use the oven for this. Preheat it to 105 then turn it off, and then place the pan with bread loaves to rise.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and then preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Bake the bread for 25 minutes. Remove once done and cool completely before slicing.
- You can make the loaves ahead of time and freeze them. Pull 2 loaves from the freezer and let them thaw for about 3 hours before slicing.
- Keep the other 2 loaves in the freezer for next time or if you have a big family or gathering double the canapé topping recipe and use all four loaves.
How to Assemble Smoked Salmon Canapés
- Time to assemble our delicious canapes! Slice the loaves of bread into thin ¼ of inch slices or thicker, if desired.
- Next, spread homemade mayonnaise on each slice.
- For the second option of topping, combine cream cheese, pressed garlic, and salt. Spread a thin layer of the mixture on each homemade bread slice.
- Place a piece of smoked salmon on each slice of bread on top of the cream cheese or mayonnaise. Then place a slice of cucumber on top of the salmon.
- Garnish each canape any way you prefer (first or second option).
- Your delicious Smoked Salmon Canapes are ready to be served!
This recipe was originally posted on November 13, 2014 (original picture below), and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.