After a few sweet recipes, I've got something on the healthier side for you today. This Turkey Sandwich recipe is loaded with healthy vegetables like homegrown cucumbers and tomatoes which makes it taste absolutely incredible. I hope it helps you get thinking about starting home gardening this year if you haven't been doing one already.
This is a very simple recipe and it's perfect as a quick meal at home or on the go. This is one of those sandwiches that never gets old at my house! Even when there may be several other options, this one seems to be the most craved, especially when homegrown produce is available. I'm sure it will become one of your favorites as well!
You may be an expert sandwich maker, but knowing how to get a certain taste that only comes from a specific combo of homegrown veggies can be a very powerful flavor secret in an otherwise simple recipe. So let's get started and make the best turkey sandwich you'll ever have!
Want to learn how to make this Turkey Sandwich? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is a Turkey Sandwich?
- What Makes This Turkey Sandwich Recipe Special?
- What Other Cold Cuts Can I Add to My Turkey Sandwich?
- Can I Add Bacon to My Turkey Sandwich?
- Can This Turkey Sandwich Recipe Be Made Ahead of Time?
- Is Mustard Good on a Turkey Sandwich?
- Can I Make a Turkey Sub Using This Recipe?
- What You Need to Make Turkey Sandwiches at Home
- How to Make a Turkey Sandwich (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Turkey Sandwich Ever
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Turkey Sandwiches
- How to Store Leftover Turkey Sandwich
- Similar Recipe You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- The Best Turkey Sandwich Recipe (Super Easy to Make!)
What is a Turkey Sandwich?
A turkey sandwich is the perfect and classic combination of savory, protein-rich turkey and vegetables, sandwiched between two slices of bread. Not only is is an extremely versatile meal that you can enjoy for lunch or dinner, but it also makes for a tasty snack on the go!
To make this sandwich even more special, use fresh vegetables from your garden. A few slices of juicy tomatoes and crunchy cucumbers make it absolutely irresistible. You can also add some lettuce, onion slices, and other vegetables if you like.
Regardless of how you choose to have your turkey sandwich, you're going to absolutely fall in love with this recipe! Trust me, it's the best turkey sandwich recipe you've ever come across!
What Makes This Turkey Sandwich Recipe Special?
What makes this Turkey Sandwich recipe special is the combination of flavors and just how easy and healthy it is. Let's look at the top reasons why you're going to absolutely love this sandwich recipe:
Great for leftovers: This is the ideal way to use up Thanksgiving turkey leftovers after the holidays. Plus, you can purchase deli turkey or roasted turkey from the grocery store and prepare it at any other time.
Perfect combination: The savory turkey and vegetables are complemented with a hint of acidity from the tomatoes, while fresh lettuce and cucumbers add a bit of crunch. This creates a perfect balance that you won’t find in other sandwiches.
Healthy: Turkey is naturally lower in fat than other deli meats and fits great into any diet. The addition of fresh vegetables also provides a great range of vitamins and minerals.
Easy: This turkey sandwich recipe is extremely easy to make. They can also be made ahead of time for work or school lunches, or any time you need a healthy snack.
Versatile: Once you know how to make a great turkey sandwich, it can easily be customized. Add your favorite veggies or different sauces for a whole new taste! You can check out the variation section below for more ideas on how to customize this recipe!
What Other Cold Cuts Can I Add to My Turkey Sandwich?
If you want to switch up your turkey sandwich and make something a little different, you can always add other cold cuts! Here are some great cold cuts that'll take your sandwich to the next level:
Soppressata: Italian salami usually made of pork.
Bresaola: Italian salted beef seasoned with spices and salt, and dry cured for a few months.
Culatello: Italian salami made of pork.
Jamón Ibérico: The best Spanish ham.
Can I Use Leftover Roasted Turkey Instead of Deli Meat?
Yes, you can absolutely use leftover roasted turkey instead of deli meat. If you do have leftover roast turkey from Thanksgiving, it's an excellent way to repurpose it into something special! This sandwich is a great way to use up the leftovers, and the flavors blend perfectly together!
Can I Add Bacon to My Turkey Sandwich?
Yes, you can definitely add bacon to your turkey sandwich! Bacon is a great way to add flavor and texture to any sandwich. It goes especially well with turkey as the smoky flavor of bacon complements the savory taste of turkey.
In my personal opinion, crispy bacon is essential to any sandwich. The easiest way to make crispy, uniform bacon is by baking it in the oven! Check out the full tutorial on How to Broil Bacon in the Oven!
Can This Turkey Sandwich Recipe Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes, this Turkey Sandwich recipe can definitely be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for later. In fact, every piece of this sandwich can be prepared in advance and properly stored, and then just toss it all together! All the individually stored ingredients will keep well in the fridge for up to five days.
Is Mustard Good on a Turkey Sandwich?
I personally prefer my turkey sandwich without mustard, but if you're a mustard fan some great options are stone ground mustard, dijon mustard, and chipotle mustard.
Can I Make a Turkey Sub Using This Recipe?
Yes, you can definitely make a turkey sub using this recipe! Instead of making the usual two-slice sandwich, use a long loaf of Italian or French bread to make your own turkey sub.
Layer all the ingredients on the sub roll and bake in the oven until it is crispy and golden brown. This will give your sandwich an extra crunchy texture and delicious flavor.
What You Need to Make Turkey Sandwiches at Home
All you need are some simple, pantry staple ingredients to truly make the tastiest turkey sandwich you've ever had.
This is the perfect way to use up those Thanksgiving turkey leftovers after the holidays, too. Also, you can grab roasted turkey, or deli turkey from the grocery store and make it at any other time.
Let's look at each of the ingredients you'll need in more detail:
For the Turkey Sandwich:
- Bread: First we'll need some bread for our sandwiches. I love whole wheat, but you can also use Astrian or Sourdough bread. Both options are absolutely mouthwatering!
- Cheese: Some great options are provolone, gouda, Colby jack, Monterey jack cheese, and cheddar. They have a light cheese taste as you don't want the cheese to overpower the other ingredients.
- Turkey meat: Choose your favorite turkey meat like deli turkey, roasted turkey, or peppered turkey. These sandwiches are also great for using leftover Thanksgiving turkey meat.
- Lettuce: Next we need some fresh lettuce for our sandwich. It gives a delightful crunch with a nice earthy taste and perfectly complements all the other ingredients.
- Tomato: We're also going to use juicy tomato slices on these sandwiches. They have a great semi-sweet and acidic taste that really compliments the meat. Plus, it even helps to bring out all the flavors.
- Cucumber: Cucumbers add a nice crunch and freshness to turkey sandwiches. They're also healthy and their water content helps balance out some of the saltiness in the other ingredients.
- Bacon (Optional): We won't be using it in this recipe, but a few bacon slices are delicious on a turkey sandwich. Use this easy oven-broiled bacon recipe if you want your sandwich to pack even more flavor!
For the Sandwich Spread:
- Mayonnaise: The tangy taste of mayonnaise really makes this sandwich delicious, or you can use ranch. If you opt for mayo, easy homemade mayonnaise will take it to the next level!
- Salt: One of the seasonings we'll use in this sandwich recipe is salt. It will help bring out the flavors of the other ingredients, especially the veggies.
- Black pepper: Ground black pepper is the second seasoning we need. It has a slight spice and earthy taste that really goes great with the turkey.
How to Make a Turkey Sandwich (Step-by-Step)
Making this delicious Turkey Sandwich is super easy! Here's what you need to do to make it step by step:
How to Prep Veggies for Turkey Sandwich
First, we need to prepare our vegetables. Thoroughly rinse the lettuce, tomato, and cucumber with water, then pat them dry with a paper towel.
Using a sharp knife, cut everything into equal slices.
How to Assemble a Turkey Sandwich
With your veggies prepared, let's get to assembling the sandwich.
Toast the bread, then spread mayonnaise on one slice. Place 2 slices of cheese onto the other slice of the bread.
Put lettuce onto the mayonnaise side of the bread and sliced turkey onto the cheese side of the bread.
Next, place tomatoes on the lettuce and cucumbers on the sliced turkey.
Finally, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Fold both halves of the bread sandwiches together, and then insert wooden picks on each side of the sandwich to hold the sandwich together.
Cut the sandwich in half and you're done! Your delicious Turkey Sandwich is ready to be served!
Tips for Making the Best Turkey Sandwich Ever
Use fresh ingredients: Always use fresh produce and ingredients if it's available. This way your sandwich will be as fresh and flavorful as possible.
Assemble it properly: Be sure to follow the assembly steps above. If you place cucumbers or tomatoes on the bread slices, it could make them soggy.
Be creative: Don't be afraid to experiment with different flavors and ingredients! You can try adding in some avocado, pickles, or jalapeños for a spicy kick! Check out the next section for some other recipe variation ideas you can try.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Turkey Sandwiches
This Turkey Sandwich recipe is absolutely perfect and delicious as is. But if you're looking to switch things up, here are a few ideas you can try:
- Add avocado: Avocado slices are a great way to make your sandwich even more delicious. They add a creamy texture and nutty flavor.
- Top with crispy onions: Crispy fried onions are perfect for adding a crunchy texture to the sandwich. Unfried red onions also add a nice crunch and zesty flavor.
- Make it spicy: Try adding some jalapeños or hot sauce for some extra kick! If you like it really spicy, you can also add red peppers to your turkey sandwich.
How to Store Leftover Turkey Sandwich
To store a leftover turkey sandwich, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil. Place the wrapped sandwich in an airtight container or plastic resealable bag and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Alternatively, you can store the prepped ingredients separately for up to five days and mix it all together and assemble it before serving.
I won't recommend freezing this turkey sandwich since it'll greatly alter the texture and consistency of all the ingredients.
Similar Recipe You'll Love
The Best Turkey Sandwich Recipe (Super Easy to Make!)
Ingredients you will need for 1 Turkey Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices – bread
- 3 to 5 - turkey slices
- 2 slices – cheese
- 2 tbsp. – mayonnaise or ranch
- 2 leaf – lettuce
- 2 slices – tomato
- 6 slices – cucumber
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Prep Veggies for Turkey Sandwich
- First, we need to prepare our vegetables. Thoroughly rinse the lettuce, tomato, and cucumber with water, then pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Using a sharp knife, cut everything into equal slices.
How to Assemble a Turkey Sandwich
- With your veggies prepared, let's get to assembling the sandwich.
- Toast the bread, then spread mayonnaise on one slice. Place 2 slices of cheese onto the other slice of the bread.
- Put lettuce onto the mayonnaise side of the bread and sliced turkey onto the cheese side of the bread.
- Next, place tomatoes on the lettuce and cucumbers on the sliced turkey.
- Finally, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold both halves of the bread sandwiches together, and then insert wooden picks on each side of the sandwich to hold the sandwich together.
- Cut the sandwich in half and you're done! Your delicious Turkey Sandwich is ready to be served!
This recipe was originally posted on September 15, 2015 (original picture below), and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.