This Tossed Salad Recipe features delicious crisp veggies for the perfect side dish that goes with just about everything!
I had this salad for the first time when we visited our friends. I liked it immediately. Salads made with cabbage tend to be my favorite. Crunchy cabbage, cucumbers, chives, and all the rest of the ingredients mixed with this brand of mayo, turn out into a perfectly tasty salad.
You can serve this delicious, simple salad with any dish like mashed potatoes, pasta, or buckwheat. It's such an easy recipe to make and has great flavor. All you need to do is chop it, shred it, toss it and you're done!
Want to learn how to make this delicious Tossed Salad? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is a Tossed Salad?
- What to Need to Make Tossed Salad at Home
- How to Make Tossed Salad (Step-by-Step)
- Recipe Variation Ideas for This Salad
- How Long will Tossed Salad Last?
- How to Store Leftover Tossed Salad
- More Salad Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- Simple Tossed Salad Recipe (Quick, Easy, and Super Tasty!)
What is a Tossed Salad?
A tossed salad is simply a mixture of salad greens and veggies tossed together with a salad dressing for a simple salad that's packed with flavor and nutrients!
The ingredients used to make a tossed green salad may vary depending on what you like best. You can use whatever combination of fresh and dried herbs and spices you prefer, but the recipe I have for you today is going to knock your socks off!
It features the perfect combination of veggies, mixed with mayo for a tasty side salad that is super simple to make! So simple that you don't even need a salad spinner for it.
There's truly nothing better than a good salad, and this is the perfect one for you! It's low in calories and sodium, yet packed with vitamins and fiber. Trust me, you're going to absolutely love it!
What to Need to Make Tossed Salad at Home
This is a super simple salad, which means you need simple ingredients to make this tasty side dish. Here's everything you'll need:
- Cabbage: Cabbage will add a deliciously crunchy flavor to your salad and is a tasty alternative to regular salad greens or even a spring mix.
- Cucumbers: No veggie is as fresh and 'cool' as a cucumber, and it will take your simple tossed salad recipe to the next level.
- Bologna: For some extra flavor, we'll also be adding some bologna to our salad. You can pick any kind you want, whichever you prefer the most! You can also use ham for this recipe.
- Corn: We'll also be using 1 can of Santiam corn in our salad. I personally only like this brand, since it tastes more like home cooked than store-bought. It'll not only add a delicious bite and slightly sweet flavor to our salad but also enhance its nutritional value making it even better for you!
- Mayonnaise: For a super easy and delicious salad dressing, we'll be using homemade mayonnaise in this recipe, but store-bought works too. This brand's mayo is what I recommend because it perfectly balances out all the flavors.
- Salt: To bring out all the flavors and make sure your salad tastes good, we'll also be adding a little salt to taste.
How to Make Tossed Salad (Step-by-Step)
This tossed salad recipe is so simple, it's all about shredding, chopping, and tossing veggies together! Here's what you need to do step by step to make this tasty side dish:
Let's first start by washing our vegetables and prepping them for the salad.
Shred a small cabbage head and slice the cucumbers and green onions. Next, dice the bologna, and then drain and rinse your canned corn.
Place all ingredients into a large bowl.
Next, mix all the ingredients together. Try to toss it with a spoon, making sure not to press hard so the cabbage won't start releasing its juice.
Now add in the mayonnaise. Carefully mix it, until it's all combined, and then add salt to taste.
Your delicious tossed salad is ready to be served!
Recipe Variation Ideas for This Salad
This recipe is absolutely delicious and perfect as it is. But if you're looking to add other ingredients to your salad, here are some great ideas to try out:
Other veggies: You can try experimenting with other veggies. Some good options you can add include tomatoes, peppers, radish, carrots, olives, and red onions.
Add salad greens: You can also add your favorite salad greens to this tossed salad, such as baby spinach, arugula, or some lettuce leaves such as romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce.
Toppings: Add some nuts or seeds to your salad before serving such as chopped almonds, or some sunflower seeds. You can even add some croutons to it!
Other dressings: If you don't like mayonnaise, you can add your favorite salad dressing instead! You can even make a simple vinaigrette by mixing some olive oil with vinegar. Add some black pepper to add a little heat, or experiment with dijon mustard and honey to change things up!
Try cheese: You can even add different crumbled cheese on top, such as goat cheese, feta cheese, or some parmesan.
Add protein: Want to turn this salad into a light meal? Add some more protein to it such as chicken breast!
How Long will Tossed Salad Last?
Salads are best served fresh, so when possible make them and serve them right away to truly enjoy the delicious flavors of all the veggies combined with the delicious mayo-based salad dressing.
Some veggies are also more prone to wilting than others, especially lettuce, so it's best to make your salad fresh. But in case you're looking to store your leftovers, read the next section!
How to Store Leftover Tossed Salad
You can store any leftovers you may have, but the trick is to store it separately without mixing your salad ingredients with mayonnaise to maintain the perfect texture. You can store your tossed salad in a jar or airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I don't recommend ever freezing a tossed salad as the water content in the veggies changes the texture. I recommend making it fresh when possible.
More Salad Recipes You'll Love
- The Tastiest Red Cabbage Salad
- Cabbage and Cucumber Salad
- Purple Cabbage Tomato Salad
- Cabbage Carrots and Peppers Salad
Check out all salad recipes.
Simple Tossed Salad Recipe (Quick, Easy, and Super Tasty!)
- 1 small – green cabbage head
- 4 mini – cucumbers (or 1 English cucumber)
- 10 oz. – bologna or ham
- 10 – green onions (or one bunch)
- ¾ cup - mayonnaise (I like to use homemade mayonnaise)
- Salt and black ground pepper to taste
How to Make Tossed Salad
- This tossed salad recipe is so simple, it's all about shredding, chopping, and tossing veggies together! Here's what you need to do step by step to make this tasty side dish:
- Let's first start by washing our vegetables and prepping them for the salad.
- Shred a small cabbage head and slice the cucumbers and green onions. Next, dice the bologna, and then drain and rinse your canned corn.
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Next, mix all the ingredients together. Try to toss it with a spoon, making sure not to press hard so the cabbage won't start releasing its juice.
- Now add in the mayonnaise. Carefully mix it, until it's all combined, and then add salt to taste.
- Your delicious tossed salad is ready to be served!
This recipe was originally posted on March 26, 2015 (original picture below), and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.