This Purple Cabbage Salad is a colorful and flavorful dish that's perfect as a refreshing and healthy meal. The combination of tender purple cabbage leaves, juicy grape or cherry tomatoes, and fresh dill create a tasty and crunchy texture. The homemade salad dressing, made with creamy mayonnaise, tangy Greek yogurt, and seasoned with salt and black pepper, adds a rich and savory taste that perfectly complements the fresh ingredients.
Not only is this purple cabbage salad delicious but it's also loaded with nutrients. Purple cabbage is a great source of fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants, which can help support a healthy immune system and promote overall wellness.
This salad is a great option for anyone looking for a tasty and nutritious meal or side dish that's easy to make and can be enjoyed any time of the day. So, let's get started and make this delicious purple cabbage salad with homemade dressing!
Want to learn how to make Purple Cabbage Salad at home? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is Purple Cabbage Salad?
- What Makes This Purple Cabbage Salad Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Purple Cabbage Salad at Home
- How to Make Purple Cabbage Salad (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Purple Cabbage Salad Ever
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Purple Cabbage Salad
- How to Store Leftover Purple Cabbage Salad
- Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- The Tastiest Purple Cabbage Salad (Simple and Easy Recipe)
What is Purple Cabbage Salad?
Purple cabbage salad (sometimes also referred to as red cabbage salad recipe) is a colorful and flavorful dish that combines fresh ingredients with a homemade dressing for an irresistible combination. This salad is made with tender purple cabbage leaves, juicy grape or cherry tomatoes, and fresh dill as the base.
The creamy dressing pairs perfectly with the other ingredients, providing a rich and savory flavor to balance out the crunchy texture of the salad.
With its vibrant hue and rich taste, this purple cabbage salad is a great option for anyone looking for an easy yet healthy meal.
What Makes This Purple Cabbage Salad Recipe Special?
Healthy: This purple cabbage salad recipe is a very healthy addition to any diet. Cabbage is a great source of fiber and vitamins while tomatoes provide antioxidants and other minerals.
Vibrant: The colors and hues of this salad give it a great presentation. The dark purple cabbage and bright red tomatoes create a beautiful contrast.
Homemade: The best part about this purple cabbage salad is that it's all homemade. With fresh ingredients, you can control the taste and be sure there are no added preservatives.
What You Need to Make Purple Cabbage Salad at Home
All you need are some simple, pantry staple ingredients to make this delicious salad at home. Let's look at each of them in more detail:
For the Salad:
- Purple cabbage: First, we'll need a fresh head of purple cabbage for this salad. It has a delightful crunch with a sweet and earthy flavor.
- Grape/cherry tomatoes: Next, we're going to add grape or cherry tomatoes. They give the salad a sweetness and acidity that balances out the earthy flavor of the cabbage.
- Fresh dill: We'll top the salad ingredients off with some fresh dill. It has a sweet and tangy flavor with just a hint of citrus.
For the Salad Dressing:
- Mayonnaise: We're going to use mayonnaise as part of the base of our dressing. I like to use homemade mayonnaise for mine, but store-bought works too.
- Greek yogurt: We'll use Greek yogurt as the other half of the base of our dressing. Its creamy and tangy flavor makes it perfect for homemade salad dressing.
- Salt: A little bit of salt will bring all the flavors in the dressing together. I prefer to use sea salt in mine, but you can also use regular table salt.
- Black pepper: Lastly, we'll give our dressing a sprinkle of ground black pepper. It has a slightly spicy and earthy flavor that really compliments the mayonnaise and yogurt.
How to Make Purple Cabbage Salad (Step-by-Step)
Start out by thoroughly rinsing the vegetables and dill, then pat them dry with a paper towel.
Next, shred the cabbage then slice the tomatoes in half on a cutting board. Finely chop the dill, then place all everything in a large bowl and toss until it's mixed well.
After that, add mayonnaise and Greek yogurt to the veggies. Toss the salad again until it's mixed well and the vegetables are well coated.
Add salt and pepper to taste and mix once more until everything is well incorporated.
You can serve it right away, but I prefer to store it in the fridge for 30 minutes prior to serving. The cabbage becomes a bit softer this way, just be sure to mix it again before serving.
Enjoy the salad with any of your favorite side dishes and meat! Your delicious Purple Cabbage Salad is ready to be served!
Tips for Making the Best Purple Cabbage Salad Ever
Start with fresh ingredients: Using fresh ingredients is the key to making a delicious salad. Look for bright-colored purple cabbage and tomatoes that are free of blemishes.
Use organic ingredients: In addition to making sure my ingredients are fresh, I also prefer to use organic. This way I can ensure my purple cabbage salad is chemical-free.
Finely shred the cabbage: Use a sharp knife or mandolin slicer to slice the cabbage into small pieces. This ensures the cabbage is tender and easy to eat.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Purple Cabbage Salad
There are many variations you can make with this cabbage salad recipe. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Add fruits: You can add some sweet and tart fruit to your purple cabbage salad. Apples, pears, and oranges are all great options.
- Mix in nuts: Adding nuts such as walnuts or almonds adds extra crunch and flavor to the salad. You can also try adding sunflower seeds or sesame seeds for a nutty flavor.
- Make it tangy: To give this salad a tangy twist, add a tablespoon of mustard and a splash of vinegar or lemon juice.
- Mix up the veggies/herbs: Feel free to experiment with this salad! Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and green onions are good veggies to add while cilantro, parsley, or a little ginger make good herb additions.
How to Store Leftover Purple Cabbage Salad
Leftover salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Be sure to store it in an airtight container so that it doesn't spoil. I don't recommend freezing this salad as it'll greatly alter the overall texture and consistency of the ingredients.
Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Cabbage Carrots and Peppers Salad
- Cabbage and Cucumber Salad
- Red and Green Cabbage Cucumber Salad
- Tasty Canned Vegetable Salad
- Crab Salad Recipe
- Tossed Cucumber Salad
See all salad recipes.
The Tastiest Purple Cabbage Salad (Simple and Easy Recipe)
Purple Cabbage Tomato Salad Ingredients
- 1 small – organic purple cabbage
- 12 oz. – cherry or grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup - fresh organic chopped dill
Salads Dressing and Seasoning Ingredients
- ½ cup – mayonnaise (I like to use homemade mayonnaise)
- ½ cup – plain organic Greek yogurt
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
How to Make Purple Cabbage Salad
- Start out by thoroughly rinsing the vegetables and dill, then pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Next, shred the cabbage then slice the tomatoes in half on a cutting board. Finely chop the dill, then place all everything in a large bowl and toss until it's mixed well.
- After that, add mayonnaise and Greek yogurt to the veggies. Toss the salad again until it's mixed well and the vegetables are well coated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and mix once more until everything is well incorporated.
- You can serve it right away, but I prefer to store it in the fridge for 30 minutes prior to serving. The cabbage becomes a bit softer this way, just be sure to mix it again before serving.
- Enjoy the salad with any of your favorite side dishes and meat!
Thank you for following me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
This recipe was originally posted on April 28, 2016 (original picture below), and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
Can sour cream be used instead of Greek yogurt? Thanks
Valya of Valya's Taste of Home says
Yes, of course! Enjoy!