This traditional Ukrainian Apple Kvass recipe is a real treat. While there are many variations of kvass, a fermented probiotic drink popular in Ukraine and Russia, this apple version stands out for its light, delightful flavor that appeals to both kids and adults.
Kvass is a drink that has been enjoyed for centuries in Eastern Europe, and for good reason. Similar to kombucha, it's packed with probiotics and is fantastic for your gut health.
This particular apple kvass (Квас Яблочный) recipe is a favorite at my table because of its refreshing taste and the health benefits it offers. And don't worry about the alcohol content, it's typically very low, but if you're concerned, you can control it by adjusting the fermentation time.
If you enjoy this apple kvass recipe, I recommend trying your hand at some other traditional Russian and Ukrainian drinks. You might like homemade Kompot, a sweet and tangy fruit juice, or authentic Kisel, a fruit-based dessert drink that's sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Delicious Apple Flavour: This apple kvass recipe has a deliciously light apple flavor that sets it apart from traditional, more tangy kvass recipes, making it a hit with both kids and adults.
- Traditional and Time-Tested: This recipe stays true to the traditional Ukrainian kvass, a drink that has been enjoyed for generations in Eastern Europe for its flavor and its potential health benefits.
- Easy to Make: With just a few simple steps, this recipe is easy for anyone to make, whether you're new to fermentation or a seasoned pro.
- Family Favorite: This kvass is a hit with the whole family. Its mild, sweet flavor is a refreshing treat for kids, and adults will appreciate its traditional charm.
- Budget-Friendly: With basic ingredients like water, sugar, and apple juice, this recipe is as kind to your wallet as it is to your palate.
All you need are some simple pantry staple ingredients to make this apple kvass recipe at home. Let's look at them in more detail:
For a full list of ingredients and quantities, please check the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Water: The base of our kvass recipe, it provides the liquid environment needed for the fermentation process to take place.
- Instant Coffee: This ingredient might seem unusual, but it adds a deep, rich flavor to our kvass. It also provides a food source for the yeast, helping it to ferment the beverage.
- Organic Sugar: Sugar is food for the yeast. As the yeast consumes the sugar, it produces carbon dioxide and alcohol, giving our kvass its signature fizzy, slightly alcoholic kick.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: It adds a tangy undertone to our kvass and helps to create the acidic environment that the yeast needs to thrive.
- Frozen 100% Juice: We're using apple juice concentrate to add a sweet, apple flavor to our kvass. This will be the predominant flavor of the finished drink.
- Yeast: This is our key bacteria, it's responsible for the fermentation process that transforms our simple ingredients into a complex, tangy, fizzy beverage.
How to Make Apple Kvass
Making this incredible apple Kvass is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
Create the Base: Pour water into a large pot and add sugar, coffee, and apple cider vinegar.
Heat and Stir: Place the pot on the stove and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir constantly until all the sugar has dissolved.
Cool and Add Ingredients: Once it's boiled, remove the pot from the heat and let the mixture cool completely. Then, add apple juice and yeast.
Stir and Ferment: Combine the ingredients well, then let the mixture sit at room temperature for 12 hours to ferment. Stir the kvass a couple of times during this process.
Refrigerate: After the fermentation is complete, refrigerate the kvass. It's best served cold! Enjoy your delicious, homemade apple kvass.
Tips for Making the Best Kvass
- Use Quality Ingredients: For a delicious kvass, always use high-quality, organic sugar, and apple cider vinegar. The type of yeast you use can also impact the flavor, so opt for a good quality yeast.
- Pay Attention to Fermentation: Allow your kvass to ferment for the full 12 hours. This process is crucial for developing the unique flavor of kvass. Stir the kvass a couple of times during the fermentation process to ensure all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Cool the Mixture Quickly: To speed up the cooling process, place the pot in a sink filled with cold water and ice. Stir the kvass multiple times during cooling and change the water in the sink multiple times. This will help your kvass to cool and be ready for fermentation more quickly.
- After a long day, unwind with a refreshing glass of chilled kvass. The crisp, tangy flavor of the fermented beverage is the perfect way to relax and recharge.
- Planning a picnic? Kvass pairs perfectly with sandwiches and salads. Its unique flavor compliments a wide range of picnic foods, making it a refreshing choice for your outdoor meal.
- For a unique twist, try using Kvass as a base for a cocktail. Add some fresh fruit and a splash of vodka for a refreshing, summery drink.
- Kvass also makes a great non-alcoholic alternative to beer. Enjoy a cold glass with your favorite barbeque for a refreshing and satisfying beverage.
Recipe Variation Ideas
This delicious kvass recipe is a perfect way to enjoy a traditional Russian fermented beverage. However, if you're looking to change things up, here are a few variation ideas you can try:
- Fruit Kvass: If you're a fan of fruity flavors, this variation is perfect for you. Simply add your favorite fruits, such as berries, to the kvass during the fermentation process. The fruits will add a sweet and tangy twist to the traditional recipe, making it a refreshing summer drink.
- Herbal Kvass: For a more aromatic version of kvass, try adding some fresh herbs like mint or rosemary. The herbal notes will give your kvass a refreshing and unique flavor that pairs well with a light lunch.
- Spiced Kvass: If you enjoy the warm, comforting flavors of spices, this variation is a must-try. Add cinnamon, cloves, or other spices to your kvass. The spices will give your kvass a cozy, comforting twist, perfect for sipping on a cool evening.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kvass is a traditional fermented beverage from Eastern Europe, particularly Russia. It is made by fermenting water with sugar, apple juice, and yeast. The fermentation process gives kvass its unique flavor and also makes it a source of beneficial bacteria for gut health.
Kvass is naturally fermented, so it does contain a small amount of alcohol, usually around 0.5-1.0% ABV (alcohol by volume). However, it's considered a non-alcoholic beverage in most places.
To make fizzy Kvass, you can add a small amount of sugar or fruit juice before bottling it for fermentation. Make sure to leave some headspace in the bottle and burp it occasionally to release excess gas.
How to Store Leftovers
- Refrigerate: After your batch of kvass has fermented, you can store the leftovers in a sealed jar or airtight container in the fridge. Kvass can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It's best to serve kvass cold, so make sure it's well chilled before enjoying it.
- Freeze: Unfortunately, freezing kvass is not recommended as it can alter the flavor and texture of the drink. The fermentation process in kvass can make it prone to changes in flavor when frozen and thawed. It's best to enjoy your kvass fresh or chilled from the fridge.
Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Pina Colada Smoothie
- Healthy Spinach Blueberry Smoothie
- Healthy Avocado Spinach and Strawberry Smoothie
- Cherry Kisel Recipe
- Natural Strawberry Lemonade Recipe
- Berry Flavored Water
Homemade Apple Kvass Recipe (Authentic Квас Яблочный)
For the Apple Kvass
- 10 Liters - water
- 4 teaspoon – Instant coffee (or ¼ cup brewed espresso)
- 3 cups – organic sugar
- ¾ cup - apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (12 oz)- frozen 100% juice juice
- 2 teaspoon - yeast
How to Make Apple Kvass
- Create the Base: Pour water into a large pot and add sugar, coffee, and apple cider vinegar.
- Heat and Stir: Place the pot on the stove and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir constantly until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Cool and Add Ingredients: Once it's boiled, remove the pot from the heat and let the mixture cool completely. Then, add apple juice and yeast.
- Stir and Ferment: Combine the ingredients well, then let the mixture sit at room temperature for 12 hours to ferment. Stir the kvass a couple of times during this process.
- Refrigerate: After the fermentation is complete, refrigerate the kvass. It's best served cold! Enjoy your delicious, homemade apple kvass.
- To shorten the cooling time I like to cool it in the sink filled with cold water and ice. Change water in the sink multiple times to speed up the cooling process. Mix kvass multiple times during cooling.
This recipe was originally posted on July 19, 2014 (original picture below), and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.