This delicious Piña Colada Smoothie has the perfect creamy texture and only takes 5 minutes to make! My recipe will give you the classic Piña Colada flavor that’s perfect for the family!
It’s the ultimate Piña Colada Smoothie recipe that uses pantry-staple ingredients for delicious flavors! It’s seriously the best version to get that classic flavor but with no sugar and no alcohol!
You’ll get an incredibly refreshing drink that’s hit for the summers, or whenever you want to pamper yourself a bit. It’s healthy, tasty, and something that kids and adults both like!
Trust me, you’re going to fall in love with this super simple Piña Colada Smoothie recipe.
Want to learn how to make it? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is a Piña Colada?
- What Makes This Piña Colada Recipe Special?
- Can You Use Another Milk to Make Piña Colada?
- Can You Use Fresh Pineapple to Make Piña Colada?
- What You Need to Make Piña Colada Smoothie
- How to Make Piña Colada Smoothie (Step-by-Step)
- Variation Ideas for Piña Colada Smoothie
- How to Store Piña Colada Smoothie
- What Can You Do with Leftover Piña Colada Smoothie?
- Recipe Card
What is a Piña Colada?
Piña colada is a delicious frozen blended drink from Puerto Rice that’s typically made with pineapple juice, coconut, rum, and ice.
Because it has rum in it, Piña Coladas are usually cocktails, but today I have a family-friendly alcohol-free version that tastes just as good if not better!
It’s a delicious, healthy smoothie recipe featuring tropical flavors that will give you the best Piña Colada you’ve ever had! It’s a creamy mix made of blended pineapple juice with half & half and heavy cream.
My recipe doesn’t call for any sugar, and the only sweetener we’ll be using is some maple syrup to add a delicious sweetness to it without any unhealthy additives.
The creamy texture of this delicious Piña Colada smoothie will make you want to keep having it, and it’s the perfect treat to make for the family on a hot summer day.
What Makes This Piña Colada Recipe Special?
This Piña Colada smoothie recipe is by far the easiest one you’ll ever find for the most delicious flavor! My recipe uses incredibly simple ingredients that you can always have around to get a delicious flavor without any extra hassle.
You’ll get a creamy, smooth Piña Colada with a tropical flavor that’s unbeatable! The slight sweetness from the maple syrup naturally sweetens it and you won’t need to use any sugar to get the right flavor.
In most households, the blender is one of the least appreciated and used appliance. Usually shoved in the back corner on the kitchen counter or pantry. Well if warm outside weather isn’t reason enough to put that little invention to work, this yumminess might. Almost everyone knows the Pina Colada Smoothie.
It only takes 5 minutes to whip this up for the family, and kids and adults love it alike! It tastes fresh and healthy with pineapple juice, half & half, heavy cream, maple syrup, and some ice.
But the best part about this delicious smoothie is that it’s the perfect base recipe that you can use to customize it to your liking!
It’s extremely versatile, and with just an ingredient changed here and there, you can adapt the flavor to however you love your Piña Colada the most!
When you try this delicious healthy smoothie recipe once, you’ll want to try it again and again!
Can You Use Another Milk to Make Piña Colada?
I love my recipes simple so that anyone can make them whenever they want with pantry-staple ingredients. If you’re looking for a more tropical flavor and like coconuts, you can substitute half & half for coconut milk in this recipe.
You can also make this recipe vegan and dairy-free by opting for coconut milk instead of half & half and going for a dairy-free, vegan heavy cream instead of regular heavy cream.
If you make these changes, it might alter the texture of the smoothie a bit so adjust with a little more coconut milk to get the right consistency.
You can also use other dairy-free kinds of milk such as almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk instead of half & half to change things up and make it dairy-free. Told you this is the perfect base recipe!
Can You Use Fresh Pineapple to Make Piña Colada?
Yes, you absolutely can use fresh pineapples by extracting the juice from it to use in this recipe. Here’s how to do it:
- Take a pineapple and slice off the bottom and top of it. With the pineapple standing upright, use a long, sharp knife to slice off strips of the peel until it’s fully peeled.
- Next, go in with a paring knife to cut off any remaining eye bits from the pineapple.
- Now chop your pineapple into chunks, just make sure it’s small enough to fit into your blender jug.
- Blend the pineapple chunks until they turn into a smooth puree. You can add some extra water or liquid to get a smooth mixture if needed.
- Strain your pulpy pineapple juice with a fine mesh strainer or muslin and squeeze out as much of the juice as possible.
- You can now use this juice in the recipe.
What You Need to Make Piña Colada Smoothie
All you need is some pantry-staple ingredients for this delicious smoothie. Here’s everything you need:
Pineapple juice: It's the main flavor ingredient in this recipe so I make sure to get good quality or even organic pineapple juice. You can also use some fresh pineapple juice and I’ve added instructions on how to get it in my post above.
Heavy cream: This will add a beautiful level of creaminess and texture to your smoothie. I’ve used heavy cream with 40 % fat, but you may use any fat consistency you like 30% is fine to use as well.
Half & half: You’ll get a smooth and delicious Piña Colada with some half & half. But you may substitute this ingredient with coconut milk or cream instead as well if you want some coconut flavor in yours. Or alternatively, you can use any other kind of milk such as almond or cashew milk as well.
Maple syrup: This will add the perfect level of sweetness to your smoothie! You can also use honey instead if you prefer the flavor of it more. In fact, you can also omit it entirely if you don't like your smoothie sweet or even add more if you prefer it much sweeter.
How to Make Piña Colada Smoothie (Step-by-Step)
Making this delicious Piña Colada smoothie is incredibly simple and easy! Here’s what you need to do step by step:
Start by adding pineapple juice into a blender bowl on top of ice, along with half & half, heavy cream, and maple syrup.
Blend this mixture for 60 seconds or press the smoothie setting on the Blendtec blender.
Serve immediately as is or over ice.
Variation Ideas for Piña Colada Smoothie
This recipe is the perfect base to customize the flavors to your preference! Here are some variation ideas you can try with your Piña Colada Smoothie:
- You can use honey instead of maple syrup if you prefer the flavor and sweetness of honey more.
- You can use coconut milk and coconut cream instead of half & half to get a more tropical flavor.
- For some protein, you can add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to your smoothie. But this might change the flavor a bit but it’ll definitely still taste incredible!
- You can serve your smoothie in a bowl with some toppings such as some chopped fresh fruit, chia seeds, shredded coconut, etc.
- You can add other fruits to this smoothie for some added nutrition. Frozen bananas and strawberries go great with the flavors in a Piña Colada.
How to Store Piña Colada Smoothie
Fruit smoothies are best served and enjoyed as soon as you make them. Once the fruit juice mixes with the rest of the ingredients in a blender, it will start to oxidate and will start to slowly lose its nutrients.
That’s why I generally don’t recommend storing it for longer than 24 hours covered in the fridge.
But don’t worry, if you have some leftover Piña Colada I have the perfect idea for you in the next section!
What Can You Do with Leftover Piña Colada Smoothie?
This delicious Piña Colada smoothie recipe is perfect for some homemade popsicles! Simply pour any leftovers into popsicle molds and freeze them for about 5 to 6 hours, or until they’re solid.
If you’re looking for more information on how to remove them from the mold and other popsicle ideas, you just check out my Healthy Strawberry Popsicles recipe.
Still thirsty? Click HERE to check more drink recipes out!
Perfectly Creamy Piña Colada Smoothie (5 Ingredients)
- 2 cup – ice cubes
- 2 cup – pineapple juice
- ½ cup – half & half
- ½ cup – heavy whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp. – organic maple syrup
How to Make Piña Colada Smoothie
- Making this delicious Piña Colada smoothie is incredibly simple and easy! Here’s what you need to do step by step:
- Start by adding pineapple juice into a blender bowl on top of ice, along with half & half, heavy cream, and maple syrup.
- Blend this mixture for 60 seconds or press the smoothie setting on the Blendtec blender.
- Serve immediately as is or over ice.
This recipe was originally posted on 08-20-2014 and has been updated on 06-06-2022.
Here is the side-by-side picture comparison of the exact same recipe.