This traditional Ukrainian Apple Kvass - Квас "Яблочный" drink is truly yummylicious! There are many different kvass recipes in existence, including the most popular bread kvass. Many are too tangy for a kiddo’s taste buds, but this recipe has a light, delicious, apple flavor that is just delightful and enjoyed by adults and kids alike.
Kvass is a perfect thirst-quenching drink, remarkably refreshing, especially during these hot summer days. My sister-in-law, Vera, shared this wonderful recipe with me at a previous visit to their house.
She served this kvass for lunch and everyone absolutely loved it. No need to wait for a specific celebration to make a batch. Having a nice day is a perfectly good reason; just stir up a batch to celebrate another beautiful day under the peaceful sky above us.
What is Kvass? Kvass is a fermented probiotic drink, similar to kombucha which is phenomenal with health benefits. Kvass is a very popular drink in Ukraine and Russia. And obviously much loved here in the U.S. as well.
This delicious drink is originated from Ukraine. It's common to see
Coffee/Espresso - You may use instant coffee or brewed espresso.
Sugar - I used organic sugar, but white granulated sugar will work as well.
Apple Cider Vinegar - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is best for quality results.
Frozen Juice - Frozen or thawed is ok to use. I prefer the best quality juice for the best tasting Kvass.
Yeast - Frozen, straight from the freezer is ok to use.
How to Make Apple Kvass
Pour water into a 15 quart (15 L) pot and add sugar, coffee, and apple cider vinegar. Place the pot on the stove and bring it to a boil. Stir constantly until all sugar dissolves.
As the mixture heats up, it will foam, which is normal. As soon as it comes to a boil, remove it from heat and let it cool completely before adding apple juice and yeast.
After the kvass is fully cooled, add apple juice and yeast. Stir to combine and let sit on the countertop for 12 hours to ferment. Stir the kvass a couple of times during this fermentation process.
Refrigerate the kvass after fermentation is complete. Kvass is best when served cold!
📖 Recipe Card
Apple Kvass - Квас "Яблочный"
Apple Kvass Ingredients
- 10 Liters - water
- 4 tsp – Instant coffee (or ¼ cup brewed espresso)
- 3 cups (675 ml)– organic sugar
- ¾ cup (177ml)- apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (12 oz)- frozen 100% juice juice
- 2 tsp - yeast
How to Make Apple Kvass
- Pour water into a 15 quart (15 L) pot and add sugar, coffee, and apple cider vinegar.
- Place the pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until all sugar dissolves. As the mixture heats up, it will foam, which is normal.
- As soon as it comes to boil, remove from heat and let it cool completely before adding apple juice and yeast.
- After the kvass is fully cooled, add apple juice and yeast.
- Stir to combine and let sit on the counter top for 12 hours to ferment.
- Stir the kvass a couple of times during this fermentation process.
- Refrigerate the kvass after fermentation is complete. Kvass is best when served cold!
- To shorten the cooling time I like to cool it in the sink filled with cold water and ice. Change water in the sink multiple times to speed up the cooling process. Mix kvass multiple times during cooling.
🥃 Similar Recipes
- Pina Colada Smoothie
- Healthy Spinach Blueberry Smoothie
- Healthy Avocado Spinach and Strawberry Smoothie
- Cherry Kisel Recipe
- Natural Strawberry Lemonade Recipe
- Berry Flavored Water
Kitchen items I used in making this recipe:
(If you need any of these items, simply click on the picture to order. These are Amazon affiliate links. That means when you click on the picture link and make a purchase I make a small commission. Your cost for the purchase does not change. Thank you for your support!)