This Waffle Cake is the easiest dessert you'll ever make and the most delicious one too! All you need are two simple ingredients, zero baking time, and minimal prep time to have these ready on your dinner table. It's truly the perfect dessert for every occasion!
This dessert had always been a staple in every Slavic household and mine is no exception. It just never gets old! This was my childhood favorite dessert and I still love it very much.
It reminds me of my sweet childhood and my amazingly caring mom who always made this dessert for us kids on major holidays. This dessert is loved very much in my family as well and it is always the first to fly off the dessert plate.
Since it requires no baking and it is super easy to make, you will always find this wafer cake sliced in either diamond or triangular shapes served on most holidays or special occasions. If you've never tried this cake, then this is definitely a new recipe you have got to try. It's a beautiful classic that you're going to fall in love with.
Want to learn how to make this delicious Waffle Cake? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What is Waffle Cake?
- What Makes This Waffle Cake Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Waffle Cake at Home
- How to Make Waffle Cake (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Waffle Cake Ever
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Waffle Cake
- How to Store Leftover Waffle Cake
- Similar Traditional Ukrainian Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- 2-Ingredient Waffle Cake (No-Bake Recipe)
What is Waffle Cake?
A waffle cake is a type of dessert made by layering colorful wafer cookies with sweetened condensed milk and letting it sit under a press or weight to soften and compress the layers. The result is a cake-like dessert that is sweet, crunchy, and slightly chewy.
Waffle cakes are a popular treat in many parts of the world and can be customized with different flavors of wafer cookies or additional ingredients such as nuts, chocolate, or fruit.
What's absolutely perfect about this delicious waffle cake is that it requires zero cook time in the oven or even the stove, and you can have it ready with minimal prep time. It's perfect to serve with berries and other fruits in the morning for a Sunday brunch treat!
Try it along with my No Bake Peanut Butter Bars for some delicious no-bake treats!
What Makes This Waffle Cake Recipe Special?
Traditional: This waffle cake recipe has been made in Slavic households for a very long time. Give it a try and you'll see why!
Easy to make: The instructions for this waffle cake couldn't be simpler. Whether you're experienced in the kitchen or a novice baker, you'll have no trouble making this delicious cake.
Simple ingredients: One of the best parts about this recipe is that it only takes two ingredients to make. No long shopping trips are required!
What You Need to Make Waffle Cake at Home
All you need are two simple, pantry staple ingredients to make this delicious Waffle Cake at home. Let's look at them in more detail:
- Wafers: We'll be using circular colored wafers for the main part of this cake. They're great for soaking up the condensed milk and their bright colors look great.
- Condensed milk: Next we need some condensed milk for this recipe. It has a sweet flavor that will also provide moisture to the dessert.
How to Make Waffle Cake (Step-by-Step)
Making this delicious Waffle Cake is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
Spread condensed milk on a wafer disc, completely covering it to the edges. Spread condensed milk only on the top side of each wafer disk.
Place another wafer on top of the one that is covered with condensed milk and repeat the same instruction by stacking the disks of the different colors until you use up the entire pack.
Place the cake under a press for an hour or so. I place a cutting board on top of the cake and place a few pounds of weight, like a jar of pickles, on top of the cutting board. This step will keep the cake layers compressed evenly while they are absorbing and softening from the condensed milk.
Finally, slice the cake into 2” diamond-shaped slices and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Waffle Cake Ever
Chill the cake: After you have pressed the cake down, it is a good idea to chill it in the refrigerator for at least an hour or two to allow the layers to set and the condensed milk to fully soak into the cookies.
Slice the cake carefully: When the cake is done, use a sharp knife to cut it into diamond-shaped slices. The layers may be sticky, so it is important to slice carefully to avoid breaking the layers apart.
Choose high-quality wafers: The quality of the wafers can greatly affect the final taste and texture of the wafer cake. Look for high-quality wafers that are fresh, crispy, and have a good flavor.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Waffle Cake
- Chocolate: Instead of using colorful wafers, you can make a chocolate wafer cake by using chocolate wafers and sweetened condensed milk. You can also add layers of chocolate ganache or Nutella between the wafer layers for an extra chocolate flavor.
- Vanilla: For a delicious vanilla wafer cake, simply use vanilla wafer cookies in this recipe instead. The vanilla wafer crumbs will taste incredible with our condensed milk.
- Warm spices: Some delicious warm spices such as cinnamon work beautifully with the flavors of this classic Slavic cake. Simply add them to the condensed milk.
- Extract: Try adding some almond or vanilla extract to the condensed milk for a delicious flavor variation.
- Coconut: You can also add a layer of filling, such as coconut by mixing some butter with the condensed milk. Stir till it's well combined and serve with a dollop of cream.
- Fruit: To add a fruity twist to the wafer cake, you can use fruit-flavored wafers such as strawberry, raspberry, or lemon. You can also add layers of fresh fruit like sliced strawberries or raspberries between the wafer layers.
- Nuts and caramel: To make a nutty and caramel version of the wafer cake, you can sprinkle chopped nuts like almonds, hazelnuts, or pecans on each layer of condensed milk. You can also drizzle caramel sauce over the nuts for extra sweetness and flavor.
How to Store Leftover Waffle Cake
Once the cake is completely cooled and sliced, you can store the slices in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days. To keep it fresh for longer storage, you can place it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
I don't recommend freezing this cake as it will greatly change the texture and consistency of the cake.
Similar Traditional Ukrainian Recipes You'll Love
- Authentic Ukrainian Sirniki (Cottage Cheese Pancakes)
- Authentic Nalisniki (Ukrainian Crepes with Cheese Filling)
- Super Easy Farmer's Cheese Recipe (No-Fail Results!)
- Easy Poppy Seed Roll Recipe
- Cherry Filled Donut Holes (Easy Ponchiki Recipe!)
2-Ingredient Waffle Cake (No-Bake Recipe)
Waffle Cake Ingredients
- 2 pack – colorful wafers
- 2 14 oz. can – lightly cooked condensed milk
How to Make Waffle Cake
- Spread condensed milk on a wafer disc, completely covering it to the edges. Spread condensed milk only on the top side of each wafer disk.
- Place another wafer on top of the one that is covered with condensed milk and repeat the same instruction by stacking the disks of the different colors until you use up the entire pack.
- Place the cake under a press for an hour or so. I place a cutting board on top of the cake and place a few pounds of weight, like a jar of pickles, on top of the cutting board. This step will keep the cake layers compressed evenly while they are absorbing and softening from the condensed milk.
The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.