For the love… of potatoes! Traditionally reserved for holidays and special events because they are so over-the-top rich and time consuming, scalloped potatoes feature thinly sliced potatoes baked in the oven. This recipe is my modified lighter, quicker version that we make for weeknight dinners. But it also suits the holiday table as well.
This is our family favorite baked type potato dish. And of course, one of my favorite things about making this particular dish is that the potatoes, carrots and garlic are from my garden. (And the trip to the store was as far as my back yard:)) Its amazing how different and delicious home grown carrot taste so sweet and juicy. It really makes the flavors pop! Same with garlic.
My daughter was pressing garlic she was surprised at how juicy it organically is, compared to the dry, rubbery texture people pay money for. In addition, the garlic in mayonnaise in this recipe is what makes this dish tastes oh so good.
You’ll just want to make this hearty meal over and over again! If you must get your potatoes from a grocery store, read on for some things I’ve learned about potatoes that are handy. They are, in fact, second to bread, right? Or as Ukrainians call it: “A second bread!” It’s worth knowing a few facts about, so take a look…. 🙂
9. Insert the bay leaves into potatoes, spreading them out. Break one leave into about 4 pieces. Preheat oven to 400 F. You may not want to preheat in the very beginning because the preparation is a bit labor-intensive and your oven would be on needlessly for a little while.
Enjoy with a cup of cold buttermilk!
Click here for
- 5 lbs – red potatoes
- 1 lb – carrots
- ¾ cup – mayonnaise
- 5 - garlic cloves
- 2 – bay leaves
- 1 tsp – salt
- ¼ tsp – black ground pepper
- 4 tbsp 1/2 stick – unsalted butter
- Peal carrots.
- Slice carrots in thins slices.
- Peal, wash and slice potatoes about ¼ of an inch thick. Add potatoes and carrots to a large bowl.
- Into a small bowl add mayonnaise and pressed garlic. Mix it together.
- Add mayo and garlic mixture on top of slices potatoes with carrots.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fold gently mayonnaise mixture into potatoes and carrots by mixing from the bottom to top.
- Put the potatoes with carrots into baking glass or ceramic pan.
- Insert bay leaves, breaking one leave into 4 pieces, spreading them out. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Melt butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour the butter over entire potato plate.
- Bake it in the oven for 60 minutes at 400 F or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
If you make this Scalloped Potatoes with Carrots please share a picture with me on Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Tag with #valyastasteofhome. I’d love to see your creations! 🙂