Lasagna is one of our family’s favorite dish to have on Sunday after church. Most of us have programmable cooking stoves and ovens in our kitchens that you can program when the oven should start and end the cooking time.
That’s exactly what I do! I make Lasagna Saturday night and I refrigerated it. The next morning, before we go to church, I program the oven to start time and the cook time, by the time we get from church lasagna is fresh and hot out of the oven to enjoy.
2.5 lbs. – beef
10 oz. – tomato sauce
14 oz. – RAGU pizza sauce
16 oz. – DARIGOLD cottage cheese
1 lb. – mushrooms
1 lb. – mozzarella cheese
12 strips – Lasagna pasta
2 quarts of water – for cooking pasta
1/4 tsp. – fine ground black pepper
1 tsp. – Mrs. Dash seasoning blend
1 tsp. – garlic salt
3 tbsp. – extra light olive oil and 1 tbsp. for cooking pasta
1 tbsp. – salt and 1 tsp. – for cooking pasta
10. Mix well and let it cook for another 15 minutes. Set aside and let it cool ( if you assemble it hot your mozzarella cheese will melt and then when you will cook lasagna in the oven, the cheese will be hard and clear color,and you don’t want that, it will not taste the same).
- 2.5 lbs - beef
- 10 oz - tomato sauce
- 14 oz - RAGU pizza sauce
- 16 oz - Dairygold cottage cheese
- 1 lb - mushrooms
- 1 lb - mozzarella cheese
- 12 strips - Lasagna pasta
- 2 quarts of water - for cooking pasta
- ¼ tsp - fine ground black pepper
- 1 tsp - Mrs Dash seasoning blend
- 1 tsp - garlic salt
- 3 tbsp - extra light olive oil and 1 tbsp for cooking pasta
- 1 tbsp - salt + 1 tsp for cooking pasta
- I never purchase ground beef. I make it my own. This is my secret for clean food preparation. First, I soak meat in the water for 1 hr, rinsing and changing the water 4 times.
- Cut out fat. Cut meat in long strips. Rinse. Let stand for 10 min for the water to drain.
- Place paper towel on the plate for extra absorption of water and put the meat through the meat grinder.
- Transfer the meat to the skillet; add 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Cook the meat until brown for about 5-7 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking prepare mushrooms by peeling the skin off (again..., my way for clean cooking), wash and slice them.
- Add mushrooms to skillet with cooking meat.
- Cook the meat and mushrooms for 15 minutes, then add pepper, Mrs Dash seasoning, garlic salt and salt. Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add pizza sauce (I like pizza sauce instead of Prego sauce, because its more sweeter and softer taste) and tomato sauce.
- Mix well and let it cook for another 15 minutes. Set aside and let it cool ( if you assemble it hot your mozzarella cheese will melt and then when you will cook lasagna in the oven, the cheese will be hard and clear color, and you don't want that, it will not taste the same).
- Cook pasta. In the medium sauce pan add water and 1 tbsp olive oil (so your pasta strips does not stick) and cook it as directed on the package.
- After it cooks, drain, wash and lay it out straight on the cutting board.
- While the pasta strips are cooling down you can shred the cheese.
- How to assemble:
- Lay out 6 lasagna strips into a lasagna porcelain pan.
- Add half portion of the meat with mushrooms.
- Spread it out evenly.
- Add 8 oz of cottage cheese and spread it out evenly. Then add 8 oz (half of the cube) of mozzarella cheese.
- Spread the mozzarella cheese evenly and then repeat another layer from Step 1-5.
- Cover a pan with aluminum foil and bake assembled lasagna at preheated oven to 350F for 60 minutes on the middle oven rack.
- Take the lasagna out of the oven. Let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Cut lasagna into even squares, and enjoy with Homemade French Bread and Garden Salad!
If you make this recipe please share the picture with me on facebook, instagram or pinterest. Tag it with #valyastasteofhome, I would love to see your creation. 🙂