If you’re looking for a refreshing and satisfying salad that is perfect for any occasion, this Turkey Salad is just what you need. With its blend of tender turkey, crunchy vegetables, and tangy dressing, this salad is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients.
The combination of healthy savory ingredients creates a harmonious taste that you and your family will absolutely love. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken, making it a practical and economical choice.
What’s best is that you can easily take this recipe and create a chicken salad instead by swapping out the meat or customize it however you like! I’ve added a ton of great variation ideas and tips in this post so that you can make the tastiest leftover Turkey salad ever!
Whether you’re looking for a healthy lunch or a light dinner, this Turkey Salad is sure to impress. I’m absolutely sure you’re going to love the flavors!
Want to learn how to make this turkey salad recipe? Then keep on reading.
Table of Contents
- What is Turkey Salad?
- What Makes This Turkey Salad Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Turkey Salad at Home
- How to Make Turkey Salad (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Turkey Salad Ever
- Serving Suggestions for Turkey Salad
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Turkey Salad
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Turkey Salad
- Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- The Tastiest Turkey Salad Recipe (Perfect for Leftovers!)
What is Turkey Salad?
Turkey salad is a dish made with cooked and shredded turkey and mixed with a variety of ingredients such as mayonnaise, celery, onion, grapes, and nuts. It is a delicious and healthy way to use leftover turkey and is a great option for a light lunch or dinner.
What’s good about this dish is that it is high in protein, low in fat, and packed with nutrients. Turkey is a lean source of protein that can help build and repair muscle tissues, while the fruits and vegetables in the salad provide essential vitamins and minerals.
Plus, the nuts add a satisfying crunch and healthy fats that can keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer periods.
Turkey salad is truly a nutritious and flavorful meal that is easy to make and perfect for any occasion, and I’m sure you’re going to love it!
What Makes This Turkey Salad Recipe Special?
Versatile: This Turkey Salad recipe can be made with leftover turkey or freshly cooked turkey, making it perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers or a quick weeknight dinner. It’s seriously the best leftover turkey recipe!
Healthy: With fresh vegetables and lean protein, this salad is a guilt-free meal option that will leave you feeling satisfied.
Easy: This recipe is simple to make, with minimal prep and clean-up. It’s perfect for busy weeknights or last-minute meals.
Delicious: The combination of tender turkey, crunchy vegetables, and tangy dressing creates a flavor explosion that is sure to impress.
Crowd-Pleaser: This salad is a hit with both adults and kids, making it the perfect dish to bring to a potluck or serve at a family gathering.
What You Need to Make Turkey Salad at Home
All you need are some simple pantry staple ingredients to make this turkey salad recipe at home. Let's look at them in more detail:
- Turkey meat: You’ll be using some chopped oven-roasted turkey meat in this recipe, which will add a savory and hearty flavor to the dish.
- Green onions: We’ll be using some chopped green onions, which will add a fresh and slightly spicy taste to the dish.
- Fresh dill: You’ll be using some chopped fresh dill in this recipe, which will add a fragrant and slightly sweet flavor to the dish.
- Red onion: We’ll also need some chopped red onion or small chopped shallot in this recipe, which will add a pungent and slightly sweet taste to the dish.
- Mayonnaise: We’ll be using some mayonnaise in this recipe, which will add a creamy and tangy flavor to the dish. I used homemade mayonnaise but you can also use store-bought mayo.
- Ranch: You’ll also be using some ranch in this recipe, which will add a cool and tangy taste to the dish.
- Fresh cucumber: You’ll need some diced fresh cucumber in this recipe, which will add a crunchy and refreshing taste to the dish.
- Toasted nuts: We’ll also be using some toasted nuts in this recipe, which will add a crunchy and nutty flavor to the dish. You can go for any nuts you prefer best.
- Lemon juice: You’ll be using some freshly squeezed lemon juice in this recipe, which will add a tangy and acidic taste to the dish.
- Garlic powder: We’ll also need some garlic powder in this recipe, which will add a savory and slightly spicy taste to the dish.
- Salt and pepper: Lastly, we’ll be using some kosher salt and black pepper in this recipe to season the dish and enhance the other flavors.
How to Make Turkey Salad (Step-by-Step)
Making this incredible leftover turkey salad recipe is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
To prepare the turkey salad, start by taking a large bowl and adding in all the necessary ingredients. These ingredients include chopped turkey meat, green onions, red onions, dill, diced cucumber, toasted nuts, mayonnaise, ranch, and lemon juice.
Once all the ingredients are in the bowl, mix them thoroughly until they are well combined. To add some extra flavor, you can season the mixture with garlic powder, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
After mixing everything together, you can either serve the turkey salad immediately or refrigerate it until you are ready to serve it. This salad is perfect for a wide range of occasions, from family dinners to potlucks and gatherings with friends.
Serve turkey salad over a croissant bun or your favorite bread.
Your delicious Turkey Salad is ready to be served.
By following these simple instructions, you can easily make a delicious and healthy turkey salad that everyone will love. So go ahead and give it a try today!
Tips for Making the Best Turkey Salad Ever
Add Other Greens: You can also opt for a mix of greens such as spinach, arugula, and romaine lettuce to add texture and flavor to the salad. Make sure to wash and dry them properly before adding them to the bowl.
Add a Crunch: To add a satisfying crunch to the salad, mix in some chopped celery, sliced almonds, walnuts, or croutons. These ingredients will not only add texture but also enhance the overall taste of the dish.
Customizing the Salad: Feel free to customize the salad according to your taste preferences. You can add some dried cranberries or diced apples for a sweet twist, or some chopped bacon for a savory touch. The options are endless!
Serving Suggestions for Turkey Salad
- Serve the turkey salad on a bed of mixed greens for a lighter meal option. Add some diced avocado and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette for a delicious and healthy lunch.
- Use the turkey salad as a filling for a wrap or sandwich. Spread some hummus or mayo on a tortilla or bread, add the salad, and top with some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers for a quick and easy meal.
- Serve the salad with crackers or toasted bread as an appetizer or snack. The creamy and flavorful turkey salad pairs well with crunchy crackers or crusty bread.
- Add the turkey salad to a charcuterie board for a festive and colorful addition. Serve it alongside some sliced cheese, cured meats, and fresh fruits for a beautiful and tasty spread.
- Use the turkey salad as a topping for baked potatoes or sweet potatoes. Scoop some of the salad onto a warm and fluffy potato and sprinkle with some chopped chives or green onions for a comforting and satisfying meal.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Turkey Salad
This delicious turkey salad recipe is absolutely perfect as is, but if you're looking to change things up, here are a few variation ideas you can try:
Cranberry: Add dried cranberries and chopped pecans to the recipe for a festive twist on this classic dish. The sweetness of the cranberries pairs perfectly with the savory turkey and creamy dressing.
Greek: For a Mediterranean-inspired version, add chopped kalamata olives, crumbled feta cheese, and diced cucumber to the salad. Dress with a lemon vinaigrette for a bright, fresh flavor.
Curried: Add a tablespoon of curry powder and a teaspoon of honey to the salad dressing for a spicy, sweet twist on this classic recipe. Chopped apples, raisins, and cashews add crunchy texture and sweetness.
Buffalo: Add a few tablespoons of hot sauce to the dressing and top with crumbled blue cheese for a spicy, tangy variation on this classic salad. Shredded carrots and celery add crunch and freshness.
BLT: Add crispy bacon, chopped tomato, and shredded lettuce to the salad for a fun twist on the classic sandwich. Top with a creamy ranch dressing for a delicious, satisfying meal.
Low-fat: You can also use some plain Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise in this recipe. Add your favorite fresh herbs such as thyme for a delicious Mediterranean variation!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use leftover Thanksgiving turkey for this salad?
Yes, leftover Thanksgiving turkey works great in this recipe! Just make sure the turkey is fully cooked before adding it to the salad. You can go for either white or dark meat turkey and it will taste great regardless.
How long will this salad keep in the refrigerator?
This salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Is this salad gluten-free?
As long as you use gluten-free mayonnaise, this salad is gluten-free.
How to Store Leftover Turkey Salad
To store leftovers of this Turkey Salad recipe, first transfer the salad into an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. It’s best to consume the leftovers within 3-4 days.
If you want to thaw the salad, remove it from the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature before consuming.
Reheating is not recommended for this salad as it contains mayonnaise which can separate and change the texture of the salad. It’s not recommended to freeze this salad as the mayonnaise will separate and cause the salad to become watery after thawing.
It’s best to enjoy the salad fresh or within a few days of storing it in the refrigerator.
Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Turkey Croissant Sandwich (Classic Party Sandwich Idea!)
- Scrambled Egg Sandwich (Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwich!)
- Easy Avocado Egg Salad (Goes Well With Everything!)
- Simple Breakfast Croissan'wich
See all lunch recipes.
The Tastiest Turkey Salad Recipe (Perfect for Leftovers!)
Turkey Salad Ingredients
- 3 cups - chopped oven roasted turkey meat (or Thanksgiving leftover turkey)
- ½ tbsp. - chopped green onions
- ½ tbsp. - chopped fresh dill
- ¼ tbsp. – chopped red onion or small chopped shallot
- ¼ cup – mayonnaise (I used homemade mayonnaise)
- 2 tbsp. – ranch (I used homemade ranch)
- 1 cup – diced fresh cucumber
- ½ cup – toasted nuts of your choice
- 1 tsp. – freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp. – garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Turkey Salad
- Making this incredible leftover turkey salad recipe is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
- To prepare the turkey salad, start by taking a large bowl and adding in all the necessary ingredients. These ingredients include chopped turkey meat, green onions, red onions, dill, diced cucumber, toasted nuts, mayonnaise, ranch, and lemon juice.
- Once all the ingredients are in the bowl, mix them thoroughly until they are well combined. To add some extra flavor, you can season the mixture with garlic powder, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- After mixing everything together, you can either serve the turkey salad immediately or refrigerate it until you are ready to serve it. This salad is perfect for a wide range of occasions, from family dinners to potlucks and gatherings with friends.
- Your delicious Turkey Salad is ready to be served.
The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.