These Christmas Cookies are the ultimate treats for the holiday season, with a classic butter cookie taste and the perfect decorations and shape for a complete festive feel!
But not only are these cookies beautiful to look at, but they also make for the perfect gift! Just gather all your favorite cookies on a platter and serve them or add them to little boxes and gift it to your friends and family.
This is, by far, one of the best Christmas cookie recipes you'll ever try! I've been making these Christmas cookies for years and years, and they are truly the traditional Christmas cookie recipe in our family.
Enjoy making these with your kids or even friends while playing some Christmas music in the background. Serve with ice-cold milk, and don't forget to leave some extras out for Santa! Trust me, when you try these cookies once, you'll want to make them all the time!
Want to learn how to make these Christmas Cookies? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What are Christmas Cookies?
- What Makes This Christmas Cookies Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Christmas Cookies at Home
- How to Make Christmas Cookies (Step-by-Step)
- How to Bake Christmas Spritz Cookies
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Christmas Cookies
- How to Store Leftover Christmas Cookies
- More Cookie Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- Classic Christmas Cookies Recipe (Perfect Spritz Butter Cookies)
What are Christmas Cookies?
Christmas cookies are a tradition that is enjoyed by many people around the world. They can be made in so many different ways and with so many ingredients, but they all have one thing in common: they’re delicious!
This recipe includes the most classic version of Christmas cookies that you're absolutely going to love. They're classic butter cookies that are shaped with a cookie dough press for the perfect combination of shapes and then decorated for a festive feel.
And don't forget to make enough to leave out for Santa and his reindeer too! You know the kids will absolutely love that!
What Makes This Christmas Cookies Recipe Special?
I have been making these Christmas cookies for years and they've become a traditional Christmas cookie recipe in our family. Making these has become a family tradition where all my kids gather up and make them along with it.
We play some Christmas music in the back to get in the mood, and everyone enjoys shaping and decorating these cookies while humming Christmas tunes.
And that's what makes this recipe so special: it tastes like Christmas and feels like it too! Plus, it's so easy and foolproof to make that you know you can fully enjoy the process and be assured that you're going to get incredible results.
Create a platter of these delicious cookies and serve it along with some cherry cheesecake or any other cake you like for the most delicious dessert combination ever!
These cookies are perfect to serve to your family with some milk, or to lay out on the Christmas table for friends and family that come over!
You can even create Christmas cookie boxes for your guests and give each family one with these cookies and some other classics such as sugar cookies, shortbread cookies, biscotti, coconut macaroons, peanut butter blossoms (peanut butter cookies), gingerbread cookies, molasses cookies, chocolate cookie, m&m cookies, snickerdoodles, etc.
This recipe is also really versatile, so I've included some great variation ideas you can check out in this recipe down below.
What You Need to Make Christmas Cookies at Home
All you need are some pantry staples to make these delicious Christmas cookies at home which is what makes them even more special! Let's look at what these are in more detail:
- Butter: First of all, we'll need some good quality butter for these Christmas cookies. Since they're essentially classic butter cookies, this is a really important ingredient that will impart most of the flavor. So, try to get your hands on the best quality you reasonably can.
- Sugar: We'll also need some white granulated sugar to sweeten our delicious cookies to the right level. Sugar also adds moisture to cookies making them soft and irresistible.
- Eggs: You'll also need one large egg in this recipe and this will add structure, color, and flavor, and also help leaven the cookies to just the right level.
- Milk: We'll be using whole milk as the main liquid in our recipe to add richness, moistness, and flavor so that you absolutely enjoy each and every bite.
- Vanilla extract: To bring out the flavor from all the ingredients, we'll also be using some vanilla extract in our cookie recipe.
- Almond extract: You'll also need some almond extract which truly makes a big difference by adding a delicious nuttiness to these classic Christmas cookies.
- All-purpose flour: To add structure to our cookies, we'll be using some simple, plain ol' all-purpose flour which you most likely have in your pantry already!
- Baking powder: We'll also need some baking powder to help leaven our cookies while we're baking them in the oven.
- Jam: For decoration, we'll also be using some homemade no-cook raspberry jam which really makes these cookies extra special. I highly recommend trying out my recipe for a delicious and easy jam otherwise, you can also use store-bought raspberry jam.
- Sprinkles: We'll also be needing some Christmas edible sparkles for decorations! For more ideas, check out the section on variations down below.
- Cookie press: You will also need Cookie Pro Ultra II Press to easily shape your cookies for the perfect holiday feel and look!
How to Make Christmas Cookies (Step-by-Step)
Making these delicious Christmas Cookies is incredibly easy. Here's what you need to do step by step to make them at home:
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Next, thoroughly cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Now add egg, milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat well until smooth about 3 minutes on high speed.
Stir together flour and baking powder, and then sift it into the creamed butter mixture.
Mix on low speed until all flour is combined and the dough is smooth in texture.
Don't chill your cookie dough. Instead, place the dough into Cookie Pro Ultra, and press cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Decorate them with the No-Cook Raspberry Freezer Jam or Christmas sprinkles of your choice.
How to Bake Christmas Spritz Cookies
Bake cookies for 8 minutes at 375F.
Once done, let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan onto the cooling rack.
Your delicious Christmas Cookies are ready to be served.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Christmas Cookies
These cookies are absolutely perfect as is. But if you're looking to customize them a bit and add your own twist you can! Here are some ideas you can consider trying:
Chocolate chips: You can even make chocolate chip cookies by taking some white chocolate or dark chocolate chips and folding them into the cookie dough. Alternatively, you can add some on top as well.
Candies: If you have any favorite candies, you can crush them and add them on top. Crushed candy canes work beautifully here, just like I used them in my Oreo truffles recipe!
Chocolate cookie: You can also add some melted chocolate or even cocoa powder to these cookies for a delicious chocolate cookie version.
Other flavors: These cookies are so versatile that you can make just about anything you want with them including peppermint extract. Or add some mild spice like cinnamon and coat them with sugar for your own cinnamon-sugar version. If you love cranberries, you can also fold some dried ones into the dough. Lemon zest also works great!
Frosting: You can also add any kind of frosting or glaze on these cookies since that works beautifully with the classic flavors in them. I love some caramel sauce on top too!
How to Store Leftover Christmas Cookies
These delicious cookies will store really well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 to 4 days. You can also freeze them in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months!
More Cookie Recipes You'll Love
Check out all cookie recipes.
Classic Christmas Cookies Recipe (Perfect Spritz Butter Cookies)
Christmas Spritz Cookies Ingredients
- 3 sticks – unsalted room temperature butter
- 1 cup – sugar
- 1 large – egg
- 2 tbsp. – whole milk
- 1 tsp. – pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. – almond extract
- 3 ½ cups. – all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. – baking powder
- ¼ tsp. - sea salt
- Homemade No-Cook Raspberry Freezer Jam
- Christmas sprinkles decorations
- You will also need Cookie Pro Ultra Press
How to Make Christmas Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Next, thoroughly cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Now add egg, milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat well until smooth about 3 minutes on high speed.
- Stir together flour and baking powder, and then sift it into the creamed butter mixture.
- Mix on low speed until all flour is combined and the dough is smooth in texture.
- Don't chill your cookie dough. Instead, place the dough into Cookie Pro Ultra, and press cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Decorate them with the No-Cook Raspberry Freezer Jam or Christmas sprinkles of your choice.
How to Bake Christmas Spritz Cookies
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes at 375F.
- Once done, let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan onto the cooling rack.
- Your delicious Christmas Cookies are ready to be served.
This recipe was originally posted on December 11, 2014 (original picture below), and updated for a better user experience. The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.