Sauerkraut salad is a deliciously tangy and vibrant dish that you’re going to fall in love with. With its combination of homemade sauerkraut, sliced pickles, and chopped red onions, it delivers a delightful crunch in every bite!
This dish is a beautiful combination of textures and tastes, making it a perfect side dish for any meal. The sauerkraut salad is not just easy to prepare but also packed with fiber and low in calories. It is a great dish to make at home when you're looking for something light and refreshing.
What sets this sauerkraut salad recipe apart is the use of homemade sauerkraut and home-canned pickles. These ingredients give the salad an authentic, homemade taste. So, if you're looking for a new salad recipe to try, consider this sauerkraut salad, and I promise you won't be disappointed.
Want to learn how to make this sauerkraut salad recipe? Then keep on reading.
Table of Contents
- What is Sauerkraut Salad?
- What Makes This Sauerkraut Salad Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Sauerkraut Salad at Home
- How to Make Sauerkraut Salad (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Sauerkraut Salad Ever
- Serving Suggestions for Sauerkraut Salad
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Sauerkraut Salad
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Sauerkraut Salad
- Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Recipe Card
- Best Ever Sauerkraut Salad (Healthy and Tangy Recipe!)
What is Sauerkraut Salad?
Sauerkraut salad is a delicious salad recipe that features sauerkraut as the main ingredient that offers a tasty flavor that’s unlike anything else. What’s best is that the ingredients are simple but pack a punch.
The Sauerkraut salad is a fantastic dish to make at home, whether you're hosting a party or just want to enjoy something light and healthy. It is a versatile side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses, from bacon and chicken to brats.
More than that, it’s a taste adventure, with the tanginess of the sauerkraut, the sharpness of the onions, and the crunchiness of the pickles all coming together in a delicious combination of flavors.
Not to mention, it’s packed with fiber and protein, making it a low-calorie option that doesn't compromise on taste. So, why not give this Sauerkraut salad recipe a try? You might just find your new favorite dish!
What Makes This Sauerkraut Salad Recipe Special?
Easy to make: This sauerkraut salad recipe is incredibly straightforward, requiring you to simply place all the ingredients into a large bowl, drizzle with oil, season, and mix. No complicated cooking methods or techniques are involved, making this a breeze to prepare.
Vibrant and Delicious: This salad is not just vibrant with its colorful vegetables but also delicious. The tangy sauerkraut, crunchy pickles, and onions, all mixed with a simple vinaigrette, create a taste that's sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Healthy: With sauerkraut as the main ingredient, this salad is a great source of fiber and probiotics. Plus, the vegetable oil adds a good amount of healthy fats. It is a salad that's as good for your body as it is for your taste buds.
What You Need to Make Sauerkraut Salad at Home
All you need are some simple pantry staple ingredients to make this sauerkraut salad recipe at home. Let's look at them in more detail:
- Homemade Sauerkraut: The star of our sauerkraut salad recipe, it brings a unique tangy flavor and crunch. It is also loaded with fiber and is low in calories.
- Home Canned Pickles: Adds a bit of sweet and sour crunch to the salad. Pickles also help in enhancing the overall flavor of the salad.
- Red Onions: They add a sweet yet slightly spicy flavor that balances out the tanginess of the sauerkraut and pickles. Onions are also a good source of antioxidants.
- Olive or Avocado Oil: Either of these oils will work as the dressing for this salad. They help in blending all the flavors together and add a rich, smooth texture to the salad.
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper: These seasonings are used to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients. Remember, a little goes a long way, so add to taste.
How to Make Sauerkraut Salad (Step-by-Step)
Making this incredible sauerkraut salad is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
Take a large bowl and add all your ingredients. This will include your homemade sauerkraut, home canned pickles, red or yellow onion, and herbs. The larger the bowl, the easier it will be to mix everything together, guaranteeing that all the flavors are well distributed throughout the salad.
Now it is time to add some flavor. Drizzle a generous amount of olive or avocado oil over the top of your ingredients. This will add a nice, rich flavor to the salad. To season, sprinkle salt and black pepper to your liking. Remember, it is always easier to add more seasoning than to take it away, so start with a small amount and add more if necessary.
Once you've added your oil and seasonings, it is time to mix. Using a large spoon, stir everything together until all the ingredients are well coated. This will help make sure that every bite is packed with flavor.
For the best flavor, let your sauerkraut salad chill in the fridge for at least half an hour to an hour before serving. This allows the flavors to really meld together, creating a more complex and delicious final product.
Finally, it is time to serve your sauerkraut salad!
This dish makes a great side for any potato dish or protein like chicken or brats. The tangy flavors of the sauerkraut and the freshness of the vegetables make it a perfect compliment to heavier main dishes.
Tips for Making the Best Sauerkraut Salad Ever
Choose Homemade Sauerkraut: For the best flavors, opt for homemade sauerkraut. It has a tangier, fresher taste than store-bought versions and makes for a delicious kraut salad.
Use Fresh, Crisp Pickles: The crunch of home-canned pickles adds a delightful texture to your salad. Make sure they're crisp and not overly soft for the best results.
Don't Skimp on the Onion: Chopped red onions add a punch of flavor to this sauerkraut salad recipe. Use fresh onions for a sharper taste that compliments the tanginess of the sauerkraut.
Choose Your Oil Wisely: The oil you use can enhance the taste of your salad. Olive oil or avocado oil both work well, adding a rich flavor that binds the salad ingredients together.
Season Generously: Don't be shy with your salt and freshly ground black pepper. These seasonings bring out the flavors of the other ingredients, making your salad even more delicious.
Serving Suggestions for Sauerkraut Salad
- For a hearty lunch, try serving this salad alongside a grilled chicken breast. The salad's vinegar and salt flavors will balance out the savory chicken, making for a satisfying meal.
- This sauerkraut salad also makes a great side dish for brats. The tanginess of the salad cuts through the rich flavors of the brats, providing a refreshing balance.
- To add a crunchy twist to your dinner, serve this salad with a juicy steak. The acidity of the sauerkraut and pickles will complement the richness of the steak.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Sauerkraut Salad
This delicious sauerkraut salad recipe is absolutely perfect as is, but if you're looking to change things up, here are a few variation ideas you can try:
Add some crunch: If you love a good crunch in your salad, try adding some diced apples and celery to your sauerkraut salad. These ingredients not only add a delightful crunch but also a slight sweetness that perfectly balances the tangy flavors of the sauerkraut and vinegar.
Protein punch: Want to make your salad a protein-packed meal? Add some cooked chicken or beans to your sauerkraut salad. This not only adds protein but also makes the salad more filling, perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
Add some herbs: Fresh herbs can add a whole new dimension of flavor to your sauerkraut salad. Try adding a handful of chopped parsley or dill. These herbs not only add freshness but also enhance the other flavors in the salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Feel free to add in other vegetables like celery, cucumber, green bell pepper or even beet for an extra crunch. Just make sure that they are well chopped and mixed in with the other ingredients.
This salad makes a wonderful side dish and pairs perfectly with any potato dish, chicken, or even brats. It is also a great standalone dish if you're looking for something light and tangy.
Yes, this salad is not only delicious but also packed with fiber and protein. The sauerkraut is known for its probiotic properties and the added vegetables bring in additional nutrients. Plus, it is relatively low in calories which makes it a perfect addition to any diet.
Yes, you can use a cup of vegetable oil or any other oil of your preference. However, olive and avocado oil are recommended for their health benefits and distinct flavors.
Definitely! Herbs like dill and parsley can add a fresh and flavorful twist to your sauerkraut salad. Just chop them finely and mix them in with the other ingredients.
How to Store Leftover Sauerkraut Salad
If you've tried out a sauerkraut salad recipe and ended up with some leftovers, don't fret. Storing your leftover sauerkraut salad is simple and easy.
Transfer your leftover salad to an airtight container. Place this container in the fridge. It can last up to a week when properly stored. Before serving, give it a good stir to mix up all the flavors.
Since sauerkraut salad is typically served cold, you don't necessarily need to reheat it. Plus, sauerkraut salad has a high vinegar content, which usually doesn't freeze well. The texture of the vegetables, like the cucumber, celery, and green bell pepper, can change drastically when frozen and thawed, becoming mushy. Therefore, it is generally recommended not to freeze this salad.
Similar Recipes You'll Love
See all salad recipes.
Best Ever Sauerkraut Salad (Healthy and Tangy Recipe!)
How to Make Sauerkraut
- Take a large bowl and add all your ingredients. This will include your sauerkraut, chopped vegetables, and herbs. The larger the bowl, the easier it will be to mix everything together, guaranteeing that all the flavors are well distributed throughout the salad.
- Now it is time to add some flavor. Drizzle a generous amount of vegetable oil over the top of your ingredients. This will add a nice, rich flavor to the salad. To season, sprinkle salt and black pepper to your liking. Remember, it is always easier to add more seasoning than to take it away, so start with a small amount and add more if necessary.
- Once you've added your oil and seasonings, it is time to mix. Using a large spoon, stir everything together until all the ingredients are well coated. This will help make sure that every bite is packed with flavor.
- For the best flavor, let your sauerkraut salad chill in the fridge for at least half an hour before serving. This allows the flavors to really meld together, creating a more complex and delicious final product.
- Finally, it is time to serve your sauerkraut salad! This dish makes a great side for any potato dish or protein like chicken or brats. The tangy flavors of the sauerkraut and the freshness of the vegetables make it a perfect compliment to heavier main dishes.
The post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.